In Memorium: Bob Justman

  • Walter S. George
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1 12:20 AM
      from:

      http://trekmovie.com/2008/05/31/tos-tng-producer-robert-justman-has-passed-away/

      TOS & TNG Producer Robert Justman Has Passed Away May 31, 2008
      by Anthony Pascale

      TrekMovie.com is sad to announce that another member of the original
      Star Trek family has passed away. Robert Justman, a producer on both
      Star Trek The Original Series and Star Trek The Next Generation has
      passed away at the age of 81. Justman died at his home in Los Angeles
      Wednesday from complications due to Parkinson's disease.

      A major force behind the scenes
      Robert Justman's life with Trek started in 1964 with the first pilot
      for Star Trek The Original Series, "The Cage" where he was brought in
      as an associate producer and he remained with the series until half
      way through the third season. Justman described his responsibilities
      on the show in an interview with TrekMovie last year:

      You know how today there are 20 or 30 producers on a show. On Star
      Trek Gene Roddenberry was the executive producer and there were two
      associate producers: John D.F. Black, who was for the stories, and Bob
      Justman, who did everything else. If anything needed handling and
      there wasn't anyone to do it I would make it mine. That meant that I
      had input into story and script, casting, set design, set cost, set
      dressing, props, cutting…every function that has to be handled by
      someone I would do.

      While Roddenberry, Black and DC Fontana were focusing on the scripts,
      it was Justman who was the producer on the set and handling much of
      the hiring and firing and post-production for the show (including
      overseeing the effects and music). He left the show in the third
      season after he felt it was declining in quality. However, he came
      back to Trek when Gene Roddenberry brought him in as a supervising
      producer for Star Trek The Next Generation in 1986. Justman worked
      closely with Roddenberry in putting together the series and had a big
      influence in the creation of the characters and the casting. In fact
      it was Justman that found and pushed for the casting of Patrick
      Stewart as Captain Picard, something that Roddenberry initially
      resisted. As the first season of TNG wound down Justman left the show
      and retired, feeling that he had done the job he came to do. In the LA
      Times obituary on Justman, Rick Berman (who worked closely with him on
      TNG) said of Justman:

      I can't tell you how nurturing this guy was to me. He was like a
      mentor and a father. He was extraordinary. Justman designed sets,
      models and visual effects and oversaw character and script development
      for the debut of "The Next Generation."

      Justman recounted his time with Trek in one of the best insider
      accounts, the 1996 book "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" written
      with Herb Solow.

      Bob Justman even got a shuttlecraft named after him

      There was much more to Robert Justman's life then just Star Trek. Born
      in New York City in 1926, Justman served as a Radioman in the US Navy
      during World War II. After the war he attended UCLA before entering a
      career in film and television production. He served as a production
      assistant on a number of films in the 1950s and then moved on to
      become an associate producer and assistant director for both film and
      TV. Justman was assistant director on films such as "Kiss Me Deadly"
      (1955) and "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1962) as well as 12 episodes of
      "The Adventures of Superman" (1954-55) and 20 episodes of "The Outer
      Limits" (1963-65). Between leaving Star Trek in 1969 and his return
      with Next Generation in 1986, Justman focused on producing, working on
      such shows as `Mission: Impossible", and "The Man from Atlantis." In
      addition to all of that, Justman also served as a uniformed volunteer
      with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for more than 20 years.

      Justman proudly showed me his badge after an interview last year.

      Robert Justman is survived by his wife of 51 years, Jacqueline; a
      daughter, Jennifer; his sons Jonathan and William; two sisters,
      Estelle Osborne and Jill Roach; a brother, Anthony; and five
      grandchildren.

      Nimoy on a very sad week in Star Trek
      Justman is the third member of the Original Series to pass away
      recently. In a message to the fans sent in to TrekMovie.com, Leonard
      Nimoy reflects on the recent passings::

      In quick succession we have lost Joe Pevney who was one of the
      best directors of Star Trek episodes along with Marc Daniels who
      passed some time ago. Both brought a rich theatricality to the work
      which made their episodes shine.

      We have also lost Bob Justman who was a treasure to me. He would
      listen wisely, with an honest ear, and respond helpfully whenever
      there were creative differences of opinion. Also Alexander Courage who
      wrote the, now, unforgettable original theme music.

      All made major contributions for which we can all be thankful.

      - Leonard Nimoy

      My two slips of latinum.

      Walter S. George
      Commodore, Starfleet
      USS Excalibur NCC 2004
      "The Stars are Ours!"

      My Yahoo!360 @ http://360.yahoo.com/ncc2004
      http://www.myspace.com/doctormemory

      STAR TREK: Unity @ http://startrekunity.tripod.com/

      "Non est ad astra mollis e terris via."
      "There is no easy way from the earth to the stars."
      Lucius Annaeus Seneca (circa -4 CE to 65 CE)

      Itineris Ad Astra
      [Star Trek]

      "Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit."
      "To boldly go where no one has gone before."

      "Universum non animum mutant qui trans astra currunt"
      "They change the universe, not their soul, who run across the stars."

      "Up until about 100 years ago, there was one question that burned in
      every human, that made us study the stars and dream of traveling to
      them. Are we alone? Our generation is privileged to know the answer to
      that question. We are all explorers driven to know what's over the
      horizon, what's beyond our own shores. And yet the more I've
      experienced, the more I've learned that no matter how far we travel or
      how fast we get there, the most profound discoveries are not
      necessarily beyond that next star. They're within us, woven into the
      threads that bind us. All of us, to each other. The final frontier
      begins in this hall. Let's explore it together."

      - Captain Jonathan Archer, Enterprise NX-01
    • Trelane
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1 12:43 AM
        Oh, man, now I'm really depressed. Thanks for this Walter.

        Trelane

        _____

        away/> com/2008/05/31/tos-tng-producer-robert-justman-has-passed-away/

        My Yahoo!360 @ http://360.yahoo. <http://360.yahoo.com/ncc2004> com/ncc2004
        http://www.myspace. <http://www.myspace.com/doctormemory> com/doctormemory

        STAR TREK: Unity @ http://startrekunit <http://startrekunity.tripod.com/>
[...]

      • Lisa Coppedge
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1 11:10 AM
          It is a sad day but hardly worth being depressed over. Death claims us all and few are lucky enough to have such a legacy. We should simply remember the good things we recieved and honor the ST legacy.

          Lisa

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1 11:43 AM
            I'm sure Trelane knows all this, Lisa.  However, it is quite sad to look at the original ST family and sees so many gone now.

            Live Long and Prosper!

            CaptJaneway
            (AKA Pam Cooper-Servaites)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1 12:35 PM
              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1 12:42 PM
                In a message dated 6/1/2008 2:36:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                ltrelanel@... writes:

                I should say so . . . Thanks, Cap'n.

                Trelane

                WHAT???? I am going to......DIE?????

                KAJ

                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              • Trelane
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1 1:34 PM
                  Don't worry KAJ. Only the good die young . . . :-)

                  Trelane

                  _____

                  In a message dated 6/1/2008 2:36:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  ltrelanel@gmail. <mailto:ltrelanel%40gmail.com> com writes:

                  I should say so . . . Thanks, Cap'n.

                  Trelane

                  WHAT???? I am going to......DIE?????

                  KAJ

                  Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
                  (http://food.
                  <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002>
                  aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

                • Lewis Little
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1 2:05 PM
                    Oh, darn. I guess I'll be seeing you all in Heaven, when I beam up to see our loving God Kirk.