Deflected Arrows (Chalene Cares Devotional)

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2006

      "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you
      stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your
      right hand you save me. The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
      your love, O LORD, endures forever- do not abandon the works of
      your hands." Psalm 138:7-8

      Much of our stand is spent waiting - waiting for God's promises to
      manifest here on Earth; waiting for circumstances to change; waiting
      for a sign in the natural realm; waiting for the answer to our
      prayer. Do we ever stop to think - during this wait time - how
      mightily we have already been blessed? Do we only see the forest
      and not the trees? Does our wait for an answer to the "big prayer"
      preclude our thankfulness for answers to the little ones?

      God does answer every prayer and we would be wise to acknowledge

      Are your children safe and well? Thank God for deflected

      Do you have a roof over your head and food on your table?
      Thank God for deflected arrows.

      Did you car start this morning? Thank God for deflected arrows.

      Did you somehow manage to pay the bills this month? Thank God for
      deflected arrows.

      There are many times that the mighty hand of God has stayed the
      enemy's arsenal. We often don't acknowledge it or even recognize
      it, but He is there - leading us through the enemy bombardment;
      raising the shield of His love; holding our hand so we will not be
      afraid; guiding us on the right path.

      "Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty
      waters, though your footprints were not seen." Psalm 77:19

      In ancient times, no warrior would dare go to battle without his
      shield. The warrior's shield protected him from arrows sent by the
      enemy. With careful aim and malicious intent, the enemy aimed and
      fired. But more often than not, the arrow struck the warrior's
      shield and then fell, useless, to the ground. Once an arrow had
      been fired and deflected, it became bent and broken, no longer
      useful as a weapon.

      This is what God does for us every day of our lives. He takes those
      arrows - even a bombardment - and deflects them for us with the
      shield of His love. None of us know how many arrows He has taken
      for us - we just need to be thankful that He has. Look around you
      at the battlefield, strewn with the bent and broken arrows, and
      thank Him for His protection.

      A warrior prepares carefully to do battle. The helmet is pulled on
      and fitted securely. The armor is donned and the shield is raised.
      The warrior goes in to do battle, confident that he has girded
      himself sufficiently to deflect any arrows that may come his way.

      "Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your
      waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with
      your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of
      peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with
      which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
      Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is
      the word of God." Ephesians 6:14-17

      So it is in our lives. We do what we can to prepare carefully. We
      buckle the breastplate of His righteousness and fit our feet with
      His Word. We raise the shield of faith and don the helmet of
      salvation. Then, suddenly, the battle is thrust upon us. In the
      midst of a confrontation, many arrows are fired. It seems like the
      enemy has an unending, relentless arsenal and we are often afraid
      that one of those arrows will find the chink in our armor. We're
      not always able, in our own strength, to get that shield in place
      quick enough; to dodge some particularly deadly strikes, and some
      arrows do find their way in to do damage. But after a siege, the
      field around us is often littered with bent and broken arrows. Some
      we have averted ourselves with the preparations we have made. But
      most have been stayed from our path by the mighty hand of God. He
      looks down from the Heavens, sees our trouble, and moves in to stand
      as a shield between us and that which would harm us. Is this not an
      awesome God!

      Were you able to get through another day standing for your marriage?

      Were you blessed and comforted by something in His Word?

      Were you able to take one more step on the path?

      Did He come in and lift you up when you were bowed down by

      We need to be thankful every day for deflected arrows.

      Grounded in the Word and bolstered with His promises, we can,
      through His strength, remain in the battle, even when the
      circumstances are overwhelming. The shield we raise and the armor
      we don is the Word of God and it promises to protect and shelter us
      from the arrows of the enemy.

      "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will
      find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
      Psalm 91:4

      I have often been guilty of asking when - when are things going to

      When is the desire of my heart going to be fulfilled?

      When are you going to answer my prayer?

      But then He reminds me - in my journal, in a circumstance, in
      something I read - I have answered your prayers.

      Didn't you pray protection for your children?

      Didn't you pray for My providence and guidance?

      Didn't you pray for courage and strength?

      Didn't you pray that I would send My Word to your loved one?

      Didn't you pray for My forgiveness?

      These are the prayers I have answered for you - these are the arrows
      I have deflected with My shield. It is so easy to forget what God
      has already done for us when we are in the midst of a battle!

      When you go to God with a request or a prayer, write it down.
      Later, as you re-read these prayers and requests, you will find that
      He has, indeed, heard and answered. Write this down, too. Soon you
      will see the pages of your journal littered with the bent and broken
      arrows of the enemy and you will know with all your heart that God
      is for you in this battle.

      "What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us,
      who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave
      him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously
      give us all things?" Romans 8:31-31

      There are many circumstances that rage against us as we stand. But
      there are also many circumstances that the mighty hand of God has
      stayed from our path. Oh that we will be thankful every day for
      deflected arrows. Oh that we may see beyond the big picture to the
      deft brushstrokes of our Savior as His masterpiece is revealed. Oh
      that we may raise the shield of His Word every day to deflect the
      arrows that the enemy rains against us. Be strong, faithful warrior!

      "You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your
      word." Psalm 119:114

      "He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even
      though many oppose me." Psalm 55:18