MAY THEY BE ONE – Standing Firm Devotional

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2006
      MAY THEY BE ONE –

      "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me
      into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I
      sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified. 'My prayer
      is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in
      me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father,
      just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so
      that the world may believe that you have sent me.'"
      John 17:17-21

      This passage is the climax of Jesus' final discourse with His dis-
      ciples at the Last Supper before His passion, death and resurrection.
      He prays to the Father, "that all of them may be one...so that the
      world may believe." Jesus' prayer was not just for the disciples pre-
      sent but also for all future believers. Being "one in Christ" is a
      witness to a fallen world that Jesus was sent by the Father as
      expiation for the sins of all men.

      "'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be
      united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' This is a
      profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church."
      Ephesians 5:31-32

      The marriage covenant, as an unbreakable bond between husband and
      wife, speaks to the mystery of the unbreakable bond between Christ
      and His church. Being one in marriage also speaks to the world about
      the nature of Christ and God's love for His creation. Sadly, the
      breakup of a Christian marriage sends the wrong message to a world
      in direr need of the truth. Jesus interceded for all believers in
      saying, "sanctify them by the truth" (Jn. 17:17). The ripping and
      tearing of the one flesh covenant in marriage speaks lies concerning
      the nature of God. It speaks that God's relationship with His people
      can be broken and is conditional, based on one's willingness to
      fulfill their commitment to the covenant. Divorce does not just
      affect the family members involved but also affects future believers
      who are not witnessing the truth regarding the nature of Christ's
      unbreakable covenant with His church.

      "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be
      united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."
      Genesis 2:24

      Honoring one's marriage covenant "until death separates" (Rom. 7:2)
      transcends the relationship of husband and wife but also witnesses to
      the eternal bond between Christ and His church. When viewed from this
      perspective, your stand for the healing of your marriage takes on a
      completely new meaning. Not only are you fulfilling your vow to love,
      honor and cherish, through good times and bad, until death separates
      but you are also furthering the kingdom of God on earth. Your stand
      witnesses to the unbreakable love of God for His people. Your stand
      speaks to the reliability of God in honoring His covenant with His
      people. Your stand triumphs Christ's victory over sin and death
      through His sacrifice on the cross. Marriage is far more than the re-
      lationship of a husband and wife in a covenant bond but speaks to
      Christ's unconditional and self-sacrificial love for His church.

      "'Haven't you read,' he replied, 'that at the beginning the Creator
      "made them male and female," and said, "For this reason a man will
      leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two
      will become one flesh"? So they are no longer two, but one. There-
      fore what God has joined together, let man not separate.'"
      Matthew 19:4-6

      Jesus spoke to the unbreakable bond of husband and wife in the one
      flesh covenant of marriage. Paul spoke of marriage as giving witness
      to the unbreakable bond of Christ and the church. Honor your marriage
      vows to give witness to the truth of God's nature. Future generations
      need the truth so that they may believe in God the Father and Jesus
      Christ, His Son. God has a mission field for you in honoring your
      marriage vows. Fight the good fight of faith and never give up. God
      will reward you richly for your obedience.

      "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is
      in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles them-
      selves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do
      what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these,
      because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask
      in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."
      John 14:11-13

      May your stand give glory to God and may He reward your faithfulness
      with a healed home. God bless you, O stalwarts of the faith!