BUTTER AND BELLIES; PAIN AND PROMISES

  • christina tracy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      From Charlene Cares

      BUTTER AND BELLIES; PAIN AND PROMISES -

        "To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly
        great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a
        messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the
        Lord to take it away from me."    2 Corinthians 12:7-8

      My New Testament professor in Bible college, Dr. Allen, had a favorite
      saying that has stuck with me through the years; "If I went to the
      hospital with acute appendicitis, I would want someone to take a knife
      to me, not to rub butter on my belly."

      Some of the people who contact Rejoice Marriage Ministries say, in one
      way or another, "Pray this pain goes away."  We fully understand what
      they are expressing, but God has called us to do more than rub butter
      on hurts.  He has called us to show people how to deal with their
      problems, by allowing the Holy Spirit, not us, to do the cutting away
      of anything in your life that does not need to be there, to see your
      marriage healed.

      Let’s make an imaginary trip to the hospital with Dr. Allen.  He is
      diagnosed with appendicitis.  Next he is given pain medication and the
      pain ceases, and he is sent home.  The absence of pain does not mean
      that healing has taken place.  Very shortly, Dr. Allen will be back,
      but with more serious problems than before.  If he had been operated
      on, and the diseased appendix removed, real healing could have
      started.

      Please don’t ask people to pray that your pain goes away.  Jesus will
      give you the comfort that is needed, but then He wants to do His work
      in your life.  Then, as you are healing, the Holy Spirit, in response
      to your prayers, can start that cutting away process in your mate’s
      life.

      What does the Bible say about pain and suffering?

        "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are
        suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But
        rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that
        you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed."  I Peter 4: 12-13

        "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on,
        however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those
        who have been trained by it."  Hebrews 12:11

        "I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me."
        Psalm 69:29

        "Then I would still have this consolation--my joy in unrelenting
        pain--that I had not denied the words of the Holy One."  Job 6:10

        "For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust
        suffering because he is conscious of God."  I Peter 2:19

      Can you grasp it?  Your Lord God wants to be more than a spiritual
      aspirin to take away all the pain.  Yes, He certainly will bring you
      comfort while He corrects the problems, as you allow Him to do so.

      Now let’s look at what the Bible says about promises during pain:

        "Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let
        my hopes be dashed."  Psalm 119:116

        "Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God,
        but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully
        persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised."
        Romans 4:20-21

        "This is what the Lord says: As I have brought all this great
        calamity on this people, so I will give them all the prosperity I
        have promised them."  Jeremiah 32:42

      Yes, there is much pain encountered in marriage problems for everyone
      involved. We can’t take away that pain, but we can introduce you to
      our Jesus, who is the Healer of lives and of marriages.

      Do you recall Paul’s thorn in the flesh from the verse where we
      started?  Let’s read on to the next two verses:

        "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is
        made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more
        gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
        That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in
        insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I
        am weak, then I am strong."   2 Corinthians 12:9-10

      Do not be satisfied with someone rubbing butter on the belly of your
      hurts.  Be open to the Great Physician’s plans for your healing. He
      alone is your answer.

      What is God's design for marriage? I believe that God hates divorce and we as women should do all we can toward standing for our marriage. This is a group that through prayer and support from each other we will grow together as God would have us to do.

      Yahoo! Shopping