Getting ready to start

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
      My library was able to get me a copy of Aran Knitting much faster
      than I anticipated, now I have to make some decisions! I was
      thinking about trying Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks. Has anyone
      used this for anything? Also, because I haven't been able to sleep
      tonight, I read through ALL of the group postings, and was wondering
      about the Donegal Tweed from Webs. I am using the Sirdar D.T. at the
      moment for a cardigan for my sister, and I love it. Is the D.T. on
      their site Sirdar? Someone mentioned it was not soft, and the Sirdar
      is (to me) so I was thinking it was maybe Rowan or Tahki. I'll
      probably be working on this sweater long after this group has
      dissolved, so it's time to get busy!
      Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.
      Theresa
    • savannahchik
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
        I was one of those people who mentioned the Webs Donegal Tweed back in
        August. I chose not to use it for St Brigid but that doesn't mean
        it's not right for you.

        I ordered a couple of the darker colors, and they were even darker in
        person. The texture just didn't pop (it didn't really show much at
        all). The yarn also has a more rustic feel to it (even after I washed
        it and used conditioner on it). It's not a soft, fluffy kind of yarn.
        I would probably wear a T shirt under whatever sweater I end up
        making out of the yarn, and I think of myself as only somewhat
        sensitive to "scratchy" wool. For example, I don't think that Kureyon
        is particularly scratchy and would happily use it as a scarf wrapped
        around my face.

        In the end (after trying several yarns) I decided to use a creamy
        white yarn from a small mill in Minnesota. The yarn is very similar
        to Cascade 220 and at least 2 of the KAL members are using that as well.

        Caryn (who joined a few weeks ago) is using Knit Picks Wool of the
        Andes. I'm not sure if she's started the sweater yet but she did post
        pics of her swatches on her blog:
        http://fuzzynoodleknits.typepad.com/fuzzy_noodle_knits/2005/02/swatch_action.html.

        HTH and Welcome!

        Jody

        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "Theresa" <oliviaryan@y...> wrote:

        > My library was able to get me a copy of Aran Knitting much faster
        > than I anticipated, now I have to make some decisions! I was
        > thinking about trying Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks. Has anyone
        > used this for anything? Also, because I haven't been able to sleep
        > tonight, I read through ALL of the group postings, and was wondering
        > about the Donegal Tweed from Webs. I am using the Sirdar D.T. at the
        > moment for a cardigan for my sister, and I love it. Is the D.T. on
        > their site Sirdar? Someone mentioned it was not soft, and the Sirdar
        > is (to me) so I was thinking it was maybe Rowan or Tahki. I'll
        > probably be working on this sweater long after this group has
        > dissolved, so it's time to get busy!
        > Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.
        > Theresa
      • Vicki Hodge
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2005
          Hi Theresa - I started on Jan 2nd and am on the 5th pattern repeat of the back.  St. Brigid has been sidelined by Mariah (from knitty.com).  I'm using Cottage Craft which is a bit stiff (never next-to-skin wear), but has great stitch definition.  There is quite a bit of veggie matter to pick.  I just received a flyer from Cottage Craft for three sweater kits for $99.  You get 8 4 oz skeins (ea 272 yds) with each kit.  Individual kits are $34.95, so not much difference in price.  I ordered one extra skein for St. Brigid for piece of mind.

          The website is www.cottagecraftwoollens.com - another cost effective option.

          Vicki
          NW IN