Progress.....

  • Susan in N GA
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      Ladies,
      I am a newish member but just wanted to share that I just completed my first repeat (24 rows).  I started right in doing the back, but am doing a trial run on some very inexpensive yarn.  I can't afford to buy the Cascade 220 that I want until I can make sure I can do this.
      I am an experienced knitter, but not in Aran knitting.

      I am very pleased with how my first rows have turned out.
      I have a question, I am starting my next row (repeat of row 3) and I just want to double check that the increase is done with knit stitches.  It is done into a purl stitch, so I just want to make sure that is not some mistake I have made.  Can anyone let me know if this is correct?

      Also, I was wondering if anyone else did a trial run with inexpensive yarn?  I am actually using Simply Soft Country Blue on size 5 needles and it is surprising how nice it looks.

      Thanks for a great list.
      Susan in N. Ga.
      www.pro31.blogspot.com

    • brigidhooker
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008
        Hi Susan

        I did trial run with inexpensive wool. Unfortunately I bought the
        wool online and found it was very scratchy. I made the St Brigid in a
        vest style and it turned out well. The scratchy wool is fine as its
        not next to my skin.

        Next time I'll make it correctly with appropriate wool, but I'm glad I
        had a practise with the tricky patterns.

        Cheers
        Brigid
        > Also, I was wondering if anyone else did a trial run with inexpensive
        > yarn? I am actually using Simply Soft Country Blue on size 5 needles
        > and it is surprising how nice it looks.
        >
        > Thanks for a great list.
        > Susan in N. Ga.
        > www.pro31.blogspot.com <http://www.pro31.blogspot.com>

      • PaulandSusan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008
          Oh, thank you.  I did learn the patterns fairly well and found the Cascade 220 on sale, so ordered the Ranier Heather.  Can't wait to get started with the good yarn.  I am also practicing on the Na Craga Starmore pattern, so am really getting into this.
          Susan.

          brigidhooker <marciebowcoop@...> wrote:
          Hi Susan

          I did trial run with inexpensive wool. Unfortunately I bought the
          wool online and found it was very scratchy. I made the St Brigid in a
          vest style and it turned out well. The scratchy wool is fine as its
          not next to my skin.

          Next time I'll make it correctly with appropriate wool, but I'm glad I
          had a practise with the tricky patterns.

          Cheers
          Brigid
          > Also, I was wondering if anyone else did a trial run with inexpensive
          > yarn? I am actually using Simply Soft Country Blue on size 5 needles
          > and it is surprising how nice it looks.
          >
          > Thanks for a great list.
          > Susan in N. Ga.
          > www.pro31.blogspot. com <http://www.pro31. blogspot. com>

        • pamela2468
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
            The Cascade 220 sale at Webs (www.yarn.com) is what finally got me to
            start this sweater, which I'd wanted to knit for years. Eleven skeins
            (100g each) cost me just under $60, including shipping, so the cost is
            comparable to that of an acrylic ($2.73 per 50g). I started the back
            on Sunday, and have completed 4.5 repeats. So far I'm finding it time
            consuming, but never boring.

            Row 3 does have you increase in a purl stitch, as the chart indicates,
            which may make better sense to you if you look at a picture of the
            finished sweater. A tiny gap develops under the increase, but I'm
            liking it. Any sweater this dense can use some ventilation. :)

            --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "Susan in N GA"

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
              The same thing happened to me, I bought my yarn because of the sale.  The Ranier Heather is truly gorgeous.  I was so pleased even though it was lighter than it looked on line.
              I was able to do the increases very easily, I have done a lot of lace knitting so I am used to yarn overs, etc.  I have already done a full repeat on my testing and am now up to row 15 on my new yarn!  This is my first Aran sweater.  I don't get bored either, I like seeing the pattern develop.
              Susan in N. GA