Re: New Member Intro

  • jmayersgaskin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi Susan,

      I've just started knitting St. Brigid and have completed my first
      sleeve. I am using the current Soft Shetland (and as far as I am
      informed by Jamieson's directly, it is the same as Scottish Heather,
      the original yarn used for the pattern). I did a comparison between
      Cascade 220 and Soft Shetland. I agree with what has been said
      previously. Soft Shetland is a 2 ply wrap and far more spongy (if that
      makes sense) than 220 which seems denser but knit up thinner. I was
      worried about how the 220 (by far the softer of the two) would pile -
      so was comforted by what Katy said about Na Craga ( I have enough of
      the 220 for something 'nice'). Soft Shetland is very warm and rough
      (softens only a little once washed).

      I'm using the stated needles, a UK 4.5mm or US 7? I think that the
      Shetland Soft may have less give in it also. Hope this helps.

      Johanne
    • Susan in N GA
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2007
        Hi Johanne and list,
        Thanks for your replies. I plunged in and started a sample of the back
        with an inexpensive yarn just to see if I can do this before investing
        in my final choice of yarn. I am an experienced knitter but have never
        made an aran sweater.
        I am up to row 8. I found row 4 difficult and had to unknit it a couple
        of times. Does anyone have any tips for correcting mistakes, I find the
        cables hard to unknit. Any tricks?

        One thing I did was to color code the cable sections on the charts to
        match the chart key which I also colored. I have also color coded my
        stitch markers.
        My efforts at this point are just a trial run, but it is really fun.

        ~Susan in N. GA.

        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "jmayersgaskin"