Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: New Member Intro

  • PaulandSusan
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
      Thanks Jody,
      Here is the link for the lady who used Galway.   I hope the link works.
      http://lox.powerblogs.com/posts/1141010835.shtml

      I have seen Vicki's great pictures, love her site.  What size needles are you using?
      Blessings,
      Susan in N GA.
      PS, I live in Rome, Ga, I assume you live in Savannah  ;~)

      savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
      Hi Susan,

      Welcome to the list!

      I did a little Googling to see if I could find anyone who used Galway
      worsted for a St Brigid but I couldn't find anyone.

      I believe it will work. Here's why:

      - Cascade 220 works very well and it's 220 yds for 100 grams. Galway
      is 210 yds for 100 grams. That's pretty close. (check out Vicki's St
      B in Cascade 220 http://knitorious. typepad.com/)
      - Galway has 4 plies, making it nice and round -- great for making
      those cables pop.
      - They describe it as a "pure wool" -- not a merino or other
      short-fibered wool that might not do well with cables.

      I would still swatch -- and wash -- your swatch to make sure. But
      it's a yarn I'd consider based on reading about it.

      Good Luck!

      Jody
      http://www.savannah chik.com/

      --- In st_brigid_kal@ yahoogroups. com, "Susan in N GA"
      <paulandsusan2003@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi List,
      > I just joined, thanks for letting me take part in this. The photos I
      > have seen have been great, thanks for sharing them with the list.
      > I am currently experimenting with swatches using Galway worsted weight.
      > Can anyone tell me how it that compares to the Cascade 220?
      > I would appreciate any information about yarn alternatives to the
      > original Alice Starmore yarn that is no longer available.
      > This looks like a great list, I look forward to sharing about this great
      > sweater.
      > Susan in N. GA
      > www.pro31.blogspot. com <http://www.pro31. blogspot. com>

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

    • jmayersgaskin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 16, 2007
        Hi Susan,

        I've just started knitting St. Brigid and have completed my first
        sleeve. I am using the current Soft Shetland (and as far as I am
        informed by Jamieson's directly, it is the same as Scottish Heather,
        the original yarn used for the pattern). I did a comparison between
        Cascade 220 and Soft Shetland. I agree with what has been said
        previously. Soft Shetland is a 2 ply wrap and far more spongy (if that
        makes sense) than 220 which seems denser but knit up thinner. I was
        worried about how the 220 (by far the softer of the two) would pile -
        so was comforted by what Katy said about Na Craga ( I have enough of
        the 220 for something 'nice'). Soft Shetland is very warm and rough
        (softens only a little once washed).

        I'm using the stated needles, a UK 4.5mm or US 7? I think that the
        Shetland Soft may have less give in it also. Hope this helps.

        Johanne
      • Susan in N GA
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2007
          Hi Johanne and list,
          Thanks for your replies. I plunged in and started a sample of the back
          with an inexpensive yarn just to see if I can do this before investing
          in my final choice of yarn. I am an experienced knitter but have never
          made an aran sweater.
          I am up to row 8. I found row 4 difficult and had to unknit it a couple
          of times. Does anyone have any tips for correcting mistakes, I find the
          cables hard to unknit. Any tricks?

          One thing I did was to color code the cable sections on the charts to
          match the chart key which I also colored. I have also color coded my
          stitch markers.
          My efforts at this point are just a trial run, but it is really fun.

          ~Susan in N. GA.

          --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "jmayersgaskin"