New Member Intro

  • Susan in N GA
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
      Hi List,
      I just joined, thanks for letting me take part in this.  The photos I have seen have been great, thanks for sharing them with the list.
      I am currently experimenting with swatches using Galway worsted weight.  Can anyone tell me how it that compares to the Cascade 220?
      I would appreciate any information about yarn alternatives to the original Alice Starmore yarn that is no longer available.
      This looks like a great list, I look forward to sharing about this great sweater.
      Susan in N. GA
      www.pro31.blogspot.com
    • savannahchik
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
        Hi Susan,

        Welcome to the list!

        I did a little Googling to see if I could find anyone who used Galway
        worsted for a St Brigid but I couldn't find anyone.

        I believe it will work. Here's why:

        - Cascade 220 works very well and it's 220 yds for 100 grams. Galway
        is 210 yds for 100 grams. That's pretty close. (check out Vicki's St
        B in Cascade 220 http://knitorious.typepad.com/)
        - Galway has 4 plies, making it nice and round -- great for making
        those cables pop.
        - They describe it as a "pure wool" -- not a merino or other
        short-fibered wool that might not do well with cables.

        I would still swatch -- and wash -- your swatch to make sure. But
        it's a yarn I'd consider based on reading about it.

        Good Luck!

        Jody
        http://www.savannahchik.com/

        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "Susan in N GA"
        <paulandsusan2003@...> wrote:

        > Hi List,
        > I just joined, thanks for letting me take part in this. The photos I
        > have seen have been great, thanks for sharing them with the list.
        > I am currently experimenting with swatches using Galway worsted weight.
        > Can anyone tell me how it that compares to the Cascade 220?
        > I would appreciate any information about yarn alternatives to the
        > original Alice Starmore yarn that is no longer available.
        > This looks like a great list, I look forward to sharing about this great
        > sweater.
        > Susan in N. GA
        > www.pro31.blogspot.com <http://www.pro31.blogspot.com>

      • Kathleen Asherah
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
          I don't remember what I was researching Galway for but I think I read that it pilled a bit more than Cascade.  Not sure why that is so.  I am not nearly as analytical as Jody.  Wish I were!  I would maybe google Galway and pilling.  And with the swatch I would put it through some mild abuse.  Good luck and let us know.

          Katy

          Interesting thought, I find Cascade to be softer than Galway but notice very little pilling on my Na Craga.  Just a bit on the sleeves.

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
        • PaulandSusan
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
            Katy,
            I am really having trouble with the gauge, too.  I read on a blog somewhere that the blogger used Galway, but even with a size 8 needle my swatch is still too small.  (I normally have to use a smaller needle than called for as I am a loose knitter).  I am wondering if the scottish heather originally called for is a much thicker yarn than I am thinking it is.
            That is a great idea to check for pilling too, thanks.  Can others share what size needle they are using?
            Susan in N. GA
            www.pro31.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
              Thanks Jody,
              Here is the link for the lady who used Galway.   I hope the link works.
              http://lox.powerblogs.com/posts/1141010835.shtml

              I have seen Vicki's great pictures, love her site.  What size needles are you using?
              Blessings,
              Susan in N GA.
              PS, I live in Rome, Ga, I assume you live in Savannah  ;~)

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
                Weight:Worsted
                Gauge:16-22 stitches, 20-24 rows to 4 inches
                Fiber:100% Shetland wool
                Needles:US 6-8 (4.0 - 5.0mm)
                Put-up:Hank, approx 120 yards
                Put-up Wt:50 grams

                Is the details on the Soft Shetland I am using for my St. Brigid.  Now, they have changed the name again and it is down to approx. 101 yd.  Yet still 50g.  Something has to give when the weight stays the same and the yardage drops.   I am using a US7.

                Yarn Gauge:
                5 sts = 1"/US8 needle
                Yarn Length (yards):
                210 yds/100g ball
                That's the Galway.

                The Jamiesons certainly appears--to my eye--heavier as it is loftier in it's ply.  Is your gauge just stitch or is it stitch and row?  Did you block your swatch?  It will definately have some give.

                Katy

                Katy,
                I am really having trouble with the gauge, too.  I read on a blog somewhere that the blogger used Galway, but even with a size 8 needle my swatch is still too small.  (I normally have to use a smaller needle than called for as I am a loose knitter).  I am wondering if the scottish heather originally called for is a much thicker yarn than I am thinking it is.
                That is a great idea to check for pilling too, thanks.  Can others share what size needle they are using?
                Susan in N. GA
                www.pro31.blogspot. com

                Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
              • sentientbeing23
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2007
                  I'm looking at a skein of Alice Starmore's Scottish Heather (it's
                  quite old) from back when Alice S. was importing the yarn under her
                  name. I don't have the Jamieson's to compare but I believe the two
                  are the same. The gauge information on the label of the Scottish
                  Heather is exactly what Katy wrote as being on the Soft Shetland
                  label.

                  Katy is right that it's loftier in its ply, and it's also a two-ply
                  yarn, which gives it a rougher texture than the very smooth 4-ply
                  Cascade 220. I would guess that a sweater knit of Scottish
                  Heather/Soft Shetland would be very warm, because the sponginess of
                  the yarn combined with many cables would be so insulating. It would
                  probably be a wonderful outdoor sweater but perhaps too hot to wear
                  indoors.

                  Good luck with your swatching. A friend of mine who was knitting a
                  sweater that required many swatches ended up felting them and, with
                  a little bit of Velcro, make a few java jacket-type wraps for when
                  she gets her latte at Starbucks.

                  Judith in WI

                  ***************

                  > Weight: Worsted Gauge: 16-22 stitches, 20-24 rows to
                  4 inches Fiber: 100% Shetland wool Needles: US 6-8 (4.0 -
                  5.0mm) Put-up: Hank, approx 120 yards Put-up Wt: 50 grams

                  > Is the details on the Soft Shetland I am using for my St.
                  Brigid. Now, they have changed the name again and it is down to
                  approx. 101 yd. Yet still 50g. Something has to give when the
                  weight stays the same and the yardage drops. I am using a US7.

                  > Yarn Gauge:
                  > 5 sts = 1"/US8 needle
                  > Yarn Length (yards):
                  > 210 yds/100g ball That's the Galway.
                  >
                  > The Jamiesons certainly appears--to my eye--heavier as it is
                  loftier in it's ply. Is your gauge just stitch or is it stitch and
                  row? Did you block your swatch? It will definately have some give.

                  > Katy
                  >

                  > Katy,
                  > I am really having trouble with the gauge, too. I read on a blog
                  somewhere that the blogger used Galway, but even with a size 8
                  needle my swatch is still too small. (I normally have to use a
                  smaller needle than called for as I am a loose knitter). I am
                  wondering if the scottish heather originally called for is a much
                  thicker yarn than I am thinking it is.
                  > That is a great idea to check for pilling too, thanks. Can others
                  share what size needle they are using?

                • jmayersgaskin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 16, 2007
                    Hi Susan,

                    I've just started knitting St. Brigid and have completed my first
                    sleeve. I am using the current Soft Shetland (and as far as I am
                    informed by Jamieson's directly, it is the same as Scottish Heather,
                    the original yarn used for the pattern). I did a comparison between
                    Cascade 220 and Soft Shetland. I agree with what has been said
                    previously. Soft Shetland is a 2 ply wrap and far more spongy (if that
                    makes sense) than 220 which seems denser but knit up thinner. I was
                    worried about how the 220 (by far the softer of the two) would pile -
                    so was comforted by what Katy said about Na Craga ( I have enough of
                    the 220 for something 'nice'). Soft Shetland is very warm and rough
                    (softens only a little once washed).

                    I'm using the stated needles, a UK 4.5mm or US 7? I think that the
                    Shetland Soft may have less give in it also. Hope this helps.

                    Johanne
                  • Susan in N GA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 20, 2007
                      Hi Johanne and list,
                      Thanks for your replies. I plunged in and started a sample of the back
                      with an inexpensive yarn just to see if I can do this before investing
                      in my final choice of yarn. I am an experienced knitter but have never
                      made an aran sweater.
                      I am up to row 8. I found row 4 difficult and had to unknit it a couple
                      of times. Does anyone have any tips for correcting mistakes, I find the
                      cables hard to unknit. Any tricks?

                      One thing I did was to color code the cable sections on the charts to
                      match the chart key which I also colored. I have also color coded my
                      stitch markers.
                      My efforts at this point are just a trial run, but it is really fun.

                      ~Susan in N. GA.

                      --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "jmayersgaskin"