Finally!!

  • jmayersgaskin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
      I've stopped humming and ahhing, decided on the colour and make of yarn
      and have started St. Brigid. As with many others I'm starting with a
      sleeve to familiarise myself with the pattern. I would welcome any
      advice on the best way to read and organise the charts. I've written
      down the number sequence of each chart row, but wondered if there was a
      tried and tested way of looking at the charts whilst knitting. I'm
      going to copy the charts in various sizes and formats and see what I
      come up with in the meantime.
      Johanne, London

      P.S progress can be followed here: http://www.joandshea.blogspot.com/
    • anniedriscollbmc75
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "jmayersgaskin"
        <j.mayersgaskin@...> wrote:
        Hi--

        I never did manage to memorize the St. B charts, although they got VERY
        familiar by the time I finished. I made two St. B's for two of my
        sisters last year, and still love the pattern. For the charts, I
        enlarge them on my copier, and slipped the enlarged copies into a
        plastic sleeve which pretty much lived on my lap while I was knitting.
        Instead of using paper to keep track of the rows, I used one of those
        barrel shaped row counters that hang on your needles. I placed mine in
        a few stitches from the edge, so it stayed in place on my circs. Then I
        used the first digit of the counter to indicate the row, and the second
        to indicate the row for increases, so that one just kept going 1, 2, 3
        for instance at the point where you are now. And yes, I know there are
        more than 10 rows for the first digit, but that much I could tell by
        looking at the knitting. So that's how I did it.

        Also, it took an embarrassingly long time before I realized that the
        tww 'side cables' on the front were pretty much the left and right
        halves of the center cable. Life got much easier then. :)

        Good luck--you'll enjoy yourself with this one. I'll be interested to
        hear if you ever manage to really memorize the pattern. I normally have
        no trouble with that but St. B was a stronger woman than I--she won!!

        Photos to prove I managed this are in the photos section under Annie.

        Have fun.

        Annie

        > I've stopped humming and ahhing, decided on the colour and make of
        yarn
        > and have started St. Brigid. As with many others I'm starting with a
        > sleeve to familiarise myself with the pattern. I would welcome any
        > advice on the best way to read and organise the charts. I've written
        > down the number sequence of each chart row, but wondered if there was
        > tried and tested way of looking at the charts whilst knitting. I'm
        > going to copy the charts in various sizes and formats and see what I
        > come up with in the meantime.
        > Johanne, London
        >

        > P.S progress can be followed here: http://www.joandshea.blogspot.com/

      • pageta23
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2007
          I knit four swatches and have completed four repeats on the back (times
          four per row = 16) so far. I've finally figured out the "logic" of the
          pattern and can guess pretty accurately at what is next, but I'm still
          looking at the charts.

          Those cable patterns are beautiful but they sure are complex!

          Tana