RE: [st_brigid_kal] Re: They're done!!

  • Annie Driscoll
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2007
      Thank you all for the compliments. Heidi, you are correct about the softness of the yarn with the mohair content. That was a real revelation to me--I halfway expected the yarn wouldn't work at all, that the mohair would blur the cabling too much. But no! no! It was sort of perfect, a combination of cabling and wearability. I think the red one, the Jaeger Shetland Aran, is more what Starmore had in mind, but my Atlanta-based sister will definitely prefer the lighter, softer St. Brigid.
      I wouldn't hesitate now to try another soft blend yarn for a heavily cabled design--I still think that tiny cables or gansey type knit-purl designs would get lost in translation, but who knows? Maybe some experimentation there.
      I really encourage you all to keep going!! And I especially look forward to seeing Heidi's neck modifications when they're through. It was your modifications on the Filey that really got me going on St. Brigid, Heidi. That's exactly the neckline I'd work for myself if I were going to wear the sweater. I can't abide necklines up around my neck.
      On the needles now is Martin Story's Celtic, from Rowan 40, the current issue, made with Felted Tweed and Kid Classic Trim. It's so delicate compared to St. Brigid! But lovely.
      Keep knitting, ladies. St. Brigid is worth it. :)