Arm length for tall wearers?

  • anniedriscollbmc75
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
      Has anyone found the recommended arm length (44 cm) too short? I do
      understand that it's a dropped shoulder, but the total wingspan from
      cuff to cuff seems quite short to me. I'm making this for my sister
      who's 5'10 or so. I think I'll just lengthen the sleeves by a repeat,
      but if anyone has any experience, pro or con, with the recommended
      length, I'd love to hear it.

      From the diagram, it looks like the same arm length for both sizes,
      too, which also makes me leery.

      Thanks! Front and back done, and nearly one sleeve now. Progress!
    • lisa
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2006
        i am in the exact same spot as you are!  BOdy done and almost to the 44 cms of first sleeve!  Of course, I am just getting back into it after about 2 years so I have to figure out what I am doing all over again!
        Dont forget the saddle!  That lenghtens the arm considerably.  That said, I hate short sleeves!

        hth

        Lisa
        Has anyone found the recommended arm length (44 cm) too short? I do
        understand that it's a dropped shoulder, but the total wingspan from
        cuff to cuff seems quite short to me. I'm making this for my sister
        who's 5'10 or so. I think I'll just lengthen the sleeves by a repeat,
        but if anyone has any experience, pro or con, with the recommended
        length, I'd love to hear it.

        From the diagram, it looks like the same arm length for both sizes,
        too, which also makes me leery.

        Thanks! Front and back done, and nearly one sleeve now. Progress!

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Annie Driscoll
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
          I'm a bit confused by your comment on the saddle? That just runs right along
          the shoulder. I'm asking that if we add together the two sleeve lengths, 44
          cm each, plus the width across the sweater, if that seems a bit short to
          you? The saddle wouldn't lengthen that at all.

          Anyway, it's great to know you're knitting right along with me. Heidi is,
          too, I think! I finally decided to lengthen the sleeve to 48 cm before the
          saddle, which I think will work out just right. I altered the pattern
          slightly at the top to do that--after the fifth repeat was complete (when I
          would have stopped according to the pattern), I did 8 more rows, but did NOT
          start the new open cable (the one that would have been created by the
          increases in rows 3 and 4). It really worked quite well to do that, and
          looks more tidy than half a design which would have been cut off.

          That description confuses even me, but maybe you see what I mean?

          Thanks for the input!
        • Liz Marley
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2006
            Annie Driscoll wrote:
            > Heidi is,
            > too, I think! I finally decided to lengthen the sleeve to 48 cm before the
            > saddle, which I think will work out just right. I altered the pattern
            > slightly at the top to do that--after the fifth repeat was complete (when I
            > would have stopped according to the pattern), I did 8 more rows, but did NOT
            > start the new open cable (the one that would have been created by the
            > increases in rows 3 and 4). It really worked quite well to do that, and
            > looks more tidy than half a design which would have been cut off.

            That's very helpful - thanks! I am 4 repeats into the sleeve and my row
            gauge seems to be off, although it was OK for the body! - so was
            wondering what I was going to do to lengthen it!

            Liz
            http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com