Finally! Progress on St. Brigid

  • anniedriscollbmc75
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
      I've just posted a couple of pictures of my St. Brigid in progress.
      I'm making it in Navy, in a yarn (Karabella Majestic) with a 20%
      mohair content, so the picture looks not as clear as I'd like.
      However, I can say that the yarn is working very well with the
      cabling--incredibly soft and drapey, but the cables are large enough
      not to get lost in the mohair. It's really lovely.

      Good thing--because I've just promised to knit a SECOND St. Brigid
      for a second sister, and I'm planning on a burgundy Jaeger Shetland
      Aran for that one, which has 20% Alpaca content. Using these kinds of
      wool on textured work is a complete departure for me--but I'm glad I
      gave it a try.

      Also, I've modified the shaping slightly (ala Heidi and her Filey) to
      make the sweater more A-line. I just added a few stitches in the side
      panels of seed stitch.

      Has anyone else had difficulty with the seed stitch having a
      different row gauge than the cabled section? I've just thrown in some
      short rows every once and a while, and then cured it, but I was
      curious if it's a common problem, or just my seed stitch issue. :)
    • Liz Marley
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        anniedriscollbmc75 wrote:

        > I've just posted a couple of pictures of my St. Brigid in progress.
        > I'm making it in Navy, in a yarn (Karabella Majestic) with a 20%
        > mohair content, so the picture looks not as clear as I'd like.
        > However, I can say that the yarn is working very well with the
        > cabling--incredibly soft and drapey, but the cables are large enough
        > not to get lost in the mohair. It's really lovely.

        Looks gorgeous - lovely colour!

        > Has anyone else had difficulty with the seed stitch having a
        > different row gauge than the cabled section? I've just thrown in some
        > short rows every once and a while, and then cured it, but I was
        > curious if it's a common problem, or just my seed stitch issue. :)

        Mine is tighter than the rest of the sweater. I'm hoping to do some
        Strenuous Blocking to sort out the problem!

        Photos of the back of mine at
        http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com/2006/09/finished-and-partly-done.html
        and of my travails with the beginning of the sleeve at
        http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com/2006/10/st-brigids-revenge.html
        I'm on the 4th repeat of the sleeve pattern now and it's *a lot* quicker
        than working the back, for anyone who's bogged down!! (I'm also working
        the back of Elsebeth Lavold's 'Ragna', so starting the front of St B was
        just too daunting)...

        Liz
        http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com
      • Heidi Wollum
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2006

          Hi Annie,

          Your St Brigid is coming along very nicely! And the colour is beautiful.

          I’m also a member of FLAK, where this very issue has been the subject of lengthy discussions, since it seems to be quite common to have a different gauge with seed stitches, when knitted together with cables.

          If I remember correctly some choose other filler stitches instead to make gauge. Not having that problem I really didn’t pay much attention to those messages, but maybe you find it helpful to join FLAK at

           http://www.bigskyknitting.com/FLAK/knitalong.html

          and go through the archives. Some of the replies to this issue seem to have been really helpful for those in need of advise.

          Heidi

          http://knitbyheidi.typad.com/knit_by_heidi

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2006
            Thanks, Heidi. I'll check out that list. I do belong to AranKnitting, but
            not the subgroup for the FLAK. I think I pretty much cured my problem with
            short rows, which worked perfectly. Every once in a while, I just short
            rowed over in the seed stitch section, turned back around, and then did the
            next row normally. So it only added height in the seed stitch section--just
            where I needed it. And really, really invisible, since the wraps don't show
            at all on the purl stitches.

            I'm well along on the front now, and then on to the sleeves!