Re: [st_brigid_kal] wooly board

  • Maria Escudero
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hi Agnes,

      I've never made a woolly board but I have this email from someone who has.  Try and let us know how it went!
      Hope this helps.

      Maria

      To: Multiple recipients of list <knit@...>
      Subject: KNIT TECH: My Blocking Adventure

      I wanted to find a good way to block the Starmore fair isle vest  that I'd just finished.
      My original goal was to widen the vest a little, and even out the fabric.
      I wanted to make a cheap/easy substitute for the traditional "wooly board", an adjustable stretching/drying rack, and I was wondering if foamcore or corrugated cardboard would work.

      WHAT I USED
              Cardboard, since it was cheap:  I bought a big sheet for $1.25 at our local art supply store.
      I used an xacto knife to cut the cardboard to the shape I wanted;  slightly wider than the vest, with sloped shoulders. The vest has no shoulder shaping, and I didn't like the way it fit my shoulders.

              I covered the cardboard with grid-printed contact paper.  I soaked the vest briefly in cold water, laid a towel on the floor, and buttoned the vest around the board.  Then I used push pins to pin the front button band,
      the armhole bands, and to adjust the fit around the shoulders.  I also pinned the bottom to the length I wanted.
      I pinned both sides of the sweater.  It took about 30 minutes to make the board and pin the sweater.

              Then I just left the board, with a dry towel underneath, in the spare bedroom with the ceiling fan on.
      I flipped the board a couple of times; this was easy since I didn't need to repin everything.
      It was _very_humid, and I don't have AC, but the sweater still dried in less than 24 hours.

      RESULTS
              The vest looks great!!!!  The blocking made a big improvement, and it was really easy.  Next time I will try foamcore, since the cardbaord didn't do a great job of holding the pins (a few fell out).  I am saving the
      board, and will use it again the next time I wash this sweater, rather than noting its blocked measurements.
      I will definitely try this again with the next seamless sweater I make with wool.

      On 8/11/06, Agn├Ęs Argan <agns1601@...> wrote: ,_._,___
      I wanted to know if something know how to make a wooly board ?

      I think it is not so difficult?

      Thank you for the answers.