Re: [st_brigid_kal] September Start Date

  • Monica Weckstr�m
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hi,

      I am in too. I have knit about 10 inches on the sleeves, but have not
      decided what to do about the design to fit me better. I am kniting her in
      Rowan Rowanspun DK in blue because I hope to get a light but still dense
      fabric with good stitch definition.

      Monica

      >Hi,
      >
      >I'm in too, so now we are 5.
      >
      >Anyone else??
      >
      >Heidi
      >http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

    • MontanFemina
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
        Hi Theresa,

        What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid??  Can you post a picture to inspire us even more?

        Rebecca

      • MontanFemina
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
          Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)

          I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado!  I'm anxious to see your hand-dyed merino when it arrives.  What color did you go with?  And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn?  I thought I was going to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm keeping tabs on what everyone is using.

          Rebecca
          .

        • Aporanee Schauer
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
            It is crimson. If you are familiar with Green Mountain Spinnery
            Mountain Mohair it is quite similar, except it is two ply. There is a
            review in Knitter's review here
            http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/001019_a.asp
            The owner is building a web site but it is not up yet. I sent her an
            email and she sent me color cards and a small sample to swatch. I can't
            wait. It feels really nice. I probably wont start until September,
            since I have my husband's Cable 101 (Janet Szabo's) and a Must-have
            cardigan for me on the needls right now. Once I start I will definitely
            post progress on the group's photo page and on my blog.

            Aporanee
            http://runtyknits.blogspot.com/

            MontanFemina wrote:

            > Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)
            >
            > I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado! I'm anxious to see
            > your hand-dyed merino when it arrives. What color did you go with?
            > And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn? I thought I was going
            > to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm
            > keeping tabs on what everyone is using.
            >
            > Rebecca
            > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
            >
            > .

          • Theresa
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
              Rebecca,
              I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Stream, and I'm loving it
              (when I actually work on the thing!) I'll take some photos tonight
              and post them. Thanks for asking!
              Theresa

              --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina
              <montanfemina@...> wrote:

              > Hi Theresa,
              >
              > What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid?? Can you post a
              picture to inspire us even more?

              > Rebecca
              > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              call rates.

            • juan2knit
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                Greetings everyone! I've done a little swatching and I'm leaning
                towards the cascade 220, but I'm still undecided. Juanita
              • MontanFemina
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Hi Monica,

                  So, are you starting with the sleeves?  I've done that before with a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St. Brigid...hmmm....

                  Rebecca

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • savannahchik
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                    If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was pleased
                    with the results.

                    Jody
                    http://www.savannahchik.com

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Monica,
                    >
                    > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                    a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                    Brigid...hmmm....

                    > Rebecca
                    > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                  • vknitorious
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                      Oh, that's right -- I did!  I thought it was a good (small) way to familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that.  It also gave me a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively quick.  Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!  That was very motivating toward the end.

                      Vicki

                      wrote:

                      > Hi Monica,
                      >
                      > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                      a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                      Brigid...hmmm. ...

                      > Rebecca
                      > http://socks- for-mum.blogspot .com

                    • Monica Weckström
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 13, 2006
                        Hi,

                        Yes I almost always start wih the sleeves. It is a nice way to get atrted,
                        get used to the motif and see how the texture and fabric turns out. I am
                        also thunking of some other kind of sleeve setting, perhaps inset but on the
                        other hand i like the shoulderstrap.

                        Monica

                        >From: vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
                        >To: st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: September Start Date
                        >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >Oh, that's right -- I did! I thought it was a good (small) way to
                        >familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so
                        >complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so
                        >heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that. It also gave me
                        >a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively
                        >quick. Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it
                        >and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much
                        >it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!
                        >That was very motivating toward the end.
                        >
                        > Vicki
                        >
                        >savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
                        > If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was
                        >pleased
                        >with the results.
                        >
                        >Jody
                        >http://www.savannahchik.com
                        >
                        >--- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina <montanfemina@...>
                        >wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Monica,
                        > >
                        > > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                        >a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                        >Brigid...hmmm....
                        > >
                        > > Rebecca
                        > > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                        > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                        > >

                        >---------------------------------
                        >Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
                        >countries) for 2�/min or less.
                      • twiggyannm
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 28, 2006
                          Hi. I just joined the group. I've long lusted over this sweater and
                          figured it would always be on my "To Do" list, but what better
                          incentive than a KAL? I need to get a bunch of stuff done in the next
                          month so I can be ready to go on Sept 1.

                          Lesley
                          http://www.mapleontheweb.com