Re: [st_brigid_kal] September Start Date

  • Heidi Wollum
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm in too, so now we are 5.

      Anyone else??

      Heidi

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Liz
      Sent: Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] September Start Date

      September sounds like a good date, not too near and not too far. So that makes 4!

      Liz
      .

    • Liz Marley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
        I'm still plugging away at mine - halfway up the back - so I'm in too!
        I'm going to be working on it a bit this month but there's no way I'll
        be finished by September!

        Liz, near Cambridge, UK
        http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com

        Heidi Wollum wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm in too, so now we are 5.
        >
        > Anyone else??
        >
        > Heidi
        > http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

      • Aporanee Schauer
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
          I am on! I just order yarn from Mostly Marino -- a small hand-dyed
          outfit in Vermont. They have wonderful, old-fashioned look but
          absolutely soft merino/mohair (as opposed to slightly scratchy shetland
          wool). It's being dyed for me as we speak. As soon as I get the yarn
          I'll start swatching. I got the pattern from AS book from a local
          library here in northern Virginia.

          I love calbes and aran. I am on the aranknitting group and the FLAK
          group. And I finished Sam the Ram.

          Great to be on board.

          Aporanee
          http://runtyknits.blogspot.com/
        • Monica Weckstr�
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
            Hi,

            I am in too. I have knit about 10 inches on the sleeves, but have not
            decided what to do about the design to fit me better. I am kniting her in
            Rowan Rowanspun DK in blue because I hope to get a light but still dense
            fabric with good stitch definition.

            Monica

            >Hi,
            >
            >I'm in too, so now we are 5.
            >
            >Anyone else??
            >
            >Heidi
            >http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

          • Theresa
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
              I thought I wrote last week, but maybe it was a private post. I'm in.
              I am almost done with the back (1 more pattern repeat), and I need
              some motivation!
              Theresa
            • MontanFemina
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                Hi Theresa,

                What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid??  Can you post a picture to inspire us even more?

                Rebecca

              • MontanFemina
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)

                  I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado!  I'm anxious to see your hand-dyed merino when it arrives.  What color did you go with?  And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn?  I thought I was going to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm keeping tabs on what everyone is using.

                  Rebecca
                  .

                • Aporanee Schauer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                    It is crimson. If you are familiar with Green Mountain Spinnery
                    Mountain Mohair it is quite similar, except it is two ply. There is a
                    review in Knitter's review here
                    http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/001019_a.asp
                    The owner is building a web site but it is not up yet. I sent her an
                    email and she sent me color cards and a small sample to swatch. I can't
                    wait. It feels really nice. I probably wont start until September,
                    since I have my husband's Cable 101 (Janet Szabo's) and a Must-have
                    cardigan for me on the needls right now. Once I start I will definitely
                    post progress on the group's photo page and on my blog.

                    MontanFemina wrote:

                    > Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)
                    >
                    > I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado! I'm anxious to see
                    > your hand-dyed merino when it arrives. What color did you go with?
                    > And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn? I thought I was going
                    > to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm
                    > keeping tabs on what everyone is using.
                    >
                    > Rebecca
                    > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                    >
                    > .

                  • Theresa
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                      Rebecca,
                      I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Stream, and I'm loving it
                      (when I actually work on the thing!) I'll take some photos tonight
                      and post them. Thanks for asking!
                      Theresa

                      --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina
                      <montanfemina@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Theresa,
                      >
                      > What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid?? Can you post a
                      picture to inspire us even more?

                      > Rebecca
                      > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      call rates.

                    • juan2knit
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                        Greetings everyone! I've done a little swatching and I'm leaning
                        towards the cascade 220, but I'm still undecided. Juanita
                      • MontanFemina
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                          Hi Monica,

                          So, are you starting with the sleeves?  I've done that before with a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St. Brigid...hmmm....

                          Rebecca

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • savannahchik
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                            If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was pleased
                            with the results.

                            Jody
                            http://www.savannahchik.com

                            wrote:

                            > Hi Monica,
                            >
                            > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                            a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                            Brigid...hmmm....

                            > Rebecca
                            > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                          • vknitorious
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                              Oh, that's right -- I did!  I thought it was a good (small) way to familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that.  It also gave me a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively quick.  Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!  That was very motivating toward the end.

                              Vicki

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Monica,
                              >
                              > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                              a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                              Brigid...hmmm. ...

                              > Rebecca
                              > http://socks- for-mum.blogspot .com

                            • Monica Weckström
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 13, 2006
                                Hi,

                                Yes I almost always start wih the sleeves. It is a nice way to get atrted,
                                get used to the motif and see how the texture and fabric turns out. I am
                                also thunking of some other kind of sleeve setting, perhaps inset but on the
                                other hand i like the shoulderstrap.

                                Monica

                                >From: vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
                                >To: st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: September Start Date
                                >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
                                >
                                >Oh, that's right -- I did! I thought it was a good (small) way to
                                >familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so
                                >complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so
                                >heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that. It also gave me
                                >a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively
                                >quick. Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it
                                >and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much
                                >it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!
                                >That was very motivating toward the end.
                                >
                                > Vicki
                                >
                                >savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
                                > If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was
                                >pleased
                                >with the results.
                                >
                                >Jody
                                >http://www.savannahchik.com
                                >
                                >--- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina <montanfemina@...>
                                >wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Monica,
                                > >
                                > > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                >a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                >Brigid...hmmm....
                                > >
                                > > Rebecca
                                > > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                > >

                                >---------------------------------
                                >Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
                                >countries) for 2�/min or less.
                              • twiggyannm
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 28, 2006
                                  Hi. I just joined the group. I've long lusted over this sweater and
                                  figured it would always be on my "To Do" list, but what better
                                  incentive than a KAL? I need to get a bunch of stuff done in the next
                                  month so I can be ready to go on Sept 1.

                                  Lesley
                                  http://www.mapleontheweb.com