Re: [st_brigid_kal] September Start Date

  • Liz
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9 3:53 AM
      September sounds like a good date, not too near and not too far. So that makes 4!

      Liz

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9 4:06 AM
        Hi,

        I'm in too, so now we are 5.

        Anyone else??

        Heidi

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9 10:00 AM
          I'm still plugging away at mine - halfway up the back - so I'm in too!
          I'm going to be working on it a bit this month but there's no way I'll
          be finished by September!

          Liz, near Cambridge, UK
          http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com

          Heidi Wollum wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm in too, so now we are 5.
          >
          > Anyone else??
          >
          > Heidi
          > http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

        • Aporanee Schauer
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 10 2:51 AM
            I am on! I just order yarn from Mostly Marino -- a small hand-dyed
            outfit in Vermont. They have wonderful, old-fashioned look but
            absolutely soft merino/mohair (as opposed to slightly scratchy shetland
            wool). It's being dyed for me as we speak. As soon as I get the yarn
            I'll start swatching. I got the pattern from AS book from a local
            library here in northern Virginia.

            I love calbes and aran. I am on the aranknitting group and the FLAK
            group. And I finished Sam the Ram.

            Great to be on board.

            Aporanee
            http://runtyknits.blogspot.com/
          • Monica Weckstr�m
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 10 5:06 AM
              Hi,

              I am in too. I have knit about 10 inches on the sleeves, but have not
              decided what to do about the design to fit me better. I am kniting her in
              Rowan Rowanspun DK in blue because I hope to get a light but still dense
              fabric with good stitch definition.

              Monica

              >Hi,
              >
              >I'm in too, so now we are 5.
              >
              >Anyone else??
              >
              >Heidi
              >http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

            • Theresa
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10 5:34 AM
                I thought I wrote last week, but maybe it was a private post. I'm in.
                I am almost done with the back (1 more pattern repeat), and I need
                some motivation!
                Theresa
              • MontanFemina
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10 5:54 AM
                  Hi Theresa,

                  What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid??  Can you post a picture to inspire us even more?

                  Rebecca

                • MontanFemina
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10 5:57 AM
                    Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)

                    I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado!  I'm anxious to see your hand-dyed merino when it arrives.  What color did you go with?  And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn?  I thought I was going to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm keeping tabs on what everyone is using.

                    Rebecca
                    .

                  • Aporanee Schauer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10 6:36 AM
                      It is crimson. If you are familiar with Green Mountain Spinnery
                      Mountain Mohair it is quite similar, except it is two ply. There is a
                      review in Knitter's review here
                      http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/001019_a.asp
                      The owner is building a web site but it is not up yet. I sent her an
                      email and she sent me color cards and a small sample to swatch. I can't
                      wait. It feels really nice. I probably wont start until September,
                      since I have my husband's Cable 101 (Janet Szabo's) and a Must-have
                      cardigan for me on the needls right now. Once I start I will definitely
                      post progress on the group's photo page and on my blog.

                      MontanFemina wrote:

                      > Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)
                      >
                      > I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado! I'm anxious to see
                      > your hand-dyed merino when it arrives. What color did you go with?
                      > And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn? I thought I was going
                      > to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm
                      > keeping tabs on what everyone is using.
                      >
                      > Rebecca
                      > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                      >
                      > .

                    • Theresa
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10 1:27 PM
                        Rebecca,
                        I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Stream, and I'm loving it
                        (when I actually work on the thing!) I'll take some photos tonight
                        and post them. Thanks for asking!
                        Theresa

                        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina
                        <montanfemina@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Theresa,
                        >
                        > What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid?? Can you post a
                        picture to inspire us even more?

                        > Rebecca
                        > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------
                        call rates.

                      • juan2knit
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 10 2:05 PM
                          Greetings everyone! I've done a little swatching and I'm leaning
                          towards the cascade 220, but I'm still undecided. Juanita
                        • MontanFemina
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 12 6:01 AM
                            Hi Monica,

                            So, are you starting with the sleeves?  I've done that before with a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St. Brigid...hmmm....

                            Rebecca

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • savannahchik
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 12 6:20 AM
                              If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was pleased
                              with the results.

                              Jody
                              http://www.savannahchik.com

                              wrote:

                              > Hi Monica,
                              >
                              > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                              a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                              Brigid...hmmm....

                              > Rebecca
                              > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                            • vknitorious
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 12 7:11 AM
                                Oh, that's right -- I did!  I thought it was a good (small) way to familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that.  It also gave me a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively quick.  Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!  That was very motivating toward the end.

                                Vicki

                                wrote:

                                > Hi Monica,
                                >
                                > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                Brigid...hmmm. ...

                                > Rebecca
                                > http://socks- for-mum.blogspot .com

                              • Monica Weckström
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 13 1:22 AM
                                  Hi,

                                  Yes I almost always start wih the sleeves. It is a nice way to get atrted,
                                  get used to the motif and see how the texture and fabric turns out. I am
                                  also thunking of some other kind of sleeve setting, perhaps inset but on the
                                  other hand i like the shoulderstrap.

                                  Monica

                                  >From: vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
                                  >To: st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: September Start Date
                                  >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
                                  >
                                  >Oh, that's right -- I did! I thought it was a good (small) way to
                                  >familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so
                                  >complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so
                                  >heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that. It also gave me
                                  >a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively
                                  >quick. Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it
                                  >and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much
                                  >it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!
                                  >That was very motivating toward the end.
                                  >
                                  > Vicki
                                  >
                                  >savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
                                  > If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was
                                  >pleased
                                  >with the results.
                                  >
                                  >Jody
                                  >http://www.savannahchik.com
                                  >
                                  >--- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina <montanfemina@...>
                                  >wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Monica,
                                  > >
                                  > > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                  >a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                  >Brigid...hmmm....
                                  > >
                                  > > Rebecca
                                  > > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                  > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                  > >

                                  >---------------------------------
                                  >Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
                                  >countries) for 2�/min or less.
                                • twiggyannm
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 28 8:48 PM
                                    Hi. I just joined the group. I've long lusted over this sweater and
                                    figured it would always be on my "To Do" list, but what better
                                    incentive than a KAL? I need to get a bunch of stuff done in the next
                                    month so I can be ready to go on Sept 1.

                                    Lesley
                                    http://www.mapleontheweb.com