RE: [st_brigid_kal] September Start Date

  • Lisa Cann
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006

      Hi Rebecca

      I’m in the middle of our winter here in Australia and am keen to get on with ST Brigid.  I’m planning to do it in a Jo Sharp yarn and in the round.  I’ve done the cast on and the first foundation row but am trying to finish the Fir Cone Shawl first so I will be up for some definite St Brigid knitting over the next 4 or 5 months!

      Lisa

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
        Wonderful, Lisa!  I might have to consult you about knitting this in the round...that would be my preference as well.

        It isn't winter here in the Rockies but is definitely cool in temperature.  I don't mind knitting with wool through the summer.  I have a few projects to wrap up before trying out the cables.  It might be tough for me to wait until September; however, I'm hoping that by doing so it will keep me motivated to finish some projects up!

        Looking forward to knitting with you,
        Rebecca
        http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Liz
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
          September sounds like a good date, not too near and not too far. So that makes 4!

          Liz

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
            Hi,

            I'm in too, so now we are 5.

            Anyone else??

            Heidi

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
              I'm still plugging away at mine - halfway up the back - so I'm in too!
              I'm going to be working on it a bit this month but there's no way I'll
              be finished by September!

              Liz, near Cambridge, UK
              http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com

              Heidi Wollum wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm in too, so now we are 5.
              >
              > Anyone else??
              >
              > Heidi
              > http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

            • Aporanee Schauer
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                I am on! I just order yarn from Mostly Marino -- a small hand-dyed
                outfit in Vermont. They have wonderful, old-fashioned look but
                absolutely soft merino/mohair (as opposed to slightly scratchy shetland
                wool). It's being dyed for me as we speak. As soon as I get the yarn
                I'll start swatching. I got the pattern from AS book from a local
                library here in northern Virginia.

                I love calbes and aran. I am on the aranknitting group and the FLAK
                group. And I finished Sam the Ram.

                Great to be on board.

                Aporanee
                http://runtyknits.blogspot.com/
              • Monica Weckstr�m
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Hi,

                  I am in too. I have knit about 10 inches on the sleeves, but have not
                  decided what to do about the design to fit me better. I am kniting her in
                  Rowan Rowanspun DK in blue because I hope to get a light but still dense
                  fabric with good stitch definition.

                  Monica

                  >Hi,
                  >
                  >I'm in too, so now we are 5.
                  >
                  >Anyone else??
                  >
                  >Heidi
                  >http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

                • Theresa
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                    I thought I wrote last week, but maybe it was a private post. I'm in.
                    I am almost done with the back (1 more pattern repeat), and I need
                    some motivation!
                    Theresa
                  • MontanFemina
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                      Hi Theresa,

                      What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid??  Can you post a picture to inspire us even more?

                      Rebecca

                    • MontanFemina
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                        Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)

                        I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado!  I'm anxious to see your hand-dyed merino when it arrives.  What color did you go with?  And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn?  I thought I was going to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm keeping tabs on what everyone is using.

                        Rebecca
                        .

                      • Aporanee Schauer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                          It is crimson. If you are familiar with Green Mountain Spinnery
                          Mountain Mohair it is quite similar, except it is two ply. There is a
                          review in Knitter's review here
                          http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/001019_a.asp
                          The owner is building a web site but it is not up yet. I sent her an
                          email and she sent me color cards and a small sample to swatch. I can't
                          wait. It feels really nice. I probably wont start until September,
                          since I have my husband's Cable 101 (Janet Szabo's) and a Must-have
                          cardigan for me on the needls right now. Once I start I will definitely
                          post progress on the group's photo page and on my blog.

                          MontanFemina wrote:

                          > Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)
                          >
                          > I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado! I'm anxious to see
                          > your hand-dyed merino when it arrives. What color did you go with?
                          > And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn? I thought I was going
                          > to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm
                          > keeping tabs on what everyone is using.
                          >
                          > Rebecca
                          > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                          >
                          > .

                        • Theresa
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                            Rebecca,
                            I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Stream, and I'm loving it
                            (when I actually work on the thing!) I'll take some photos tonight
                            and post them. Thanks for asking!
                            Theresa

                            --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina
                            <montanfemina@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Theresa,
                            >
                            > What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid?? Can you post a
                            picture to inspire us even more?

                            > Rebecca
                            > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            call rates.

                          • juan2knit
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                              Greetings everyone! I've done a little swatching and I'm leaning
                              towards the cascade 220, but I'm still undecided. Juanita
                            • MontanFemina
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                Hi Monica,

                                So, are you starting with the sleeves?  I've done that before with a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St. Brigid...hmmm....

                                Rebecca

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                              • savannahchik
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was pleased
                                  with the results.

                                  Jody
                                  http://www.savannahchik.com

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi Monica,
                                  >
                                  > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                  a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                  Brigid...hmmm....

                                  > Rebecca
                                  > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                • vknitorious
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                    Oh, that's right -- I did!  I thought it was a good (small) way to familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that.  It also gave me a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively quick.  Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!  That was very motivating toward the end.

                                    Vicki

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Monica,
                                    >
                                    > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                    a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                    Brigid...hmmm. ...

                                    > Rebecca
                                    > http://socks- for-mum.blogspot .com

                                  • Monica Weckström
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 13, 2006
                                      Hi,

                                      Yes I almost always start wih the sleeves. It is a nice way to get atrted,
                                      get used to the motif and see how the texture and fabric turns out. I am
                                      also thunking of some other kind of sleeve setting, perhaps inset but on the
                                      other hand i like the shoulderstrap.

                                      Monica

                                      >From: vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
                                      >To: st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: September Start Date
                                      >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
                                      >
                                      >Oh, that's right -- I did! I thought it was a good (small) way to
                                      >familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so
                                      >complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so
                                      >heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that. It also gave me
                                      >a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively
                                      >quick. Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it
                                      >and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much
                                      >it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!
                                      >That was very motivating toward the end.
                                      >
                                      > Vicki
                                      >
                                      >savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
                                      > If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was
                                      >pleased
                                      >with the results.
                                      >
                                      >Jody
                                      >http://www.savannahchik.com
                                      >
                                      >--- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina <montanfemina@...>
                                      >wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Monica,
                                      > >
                                      > > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                      >a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                      >Brigid...hmmm....
                                      > >
                                      > > Rebecca
                                      > > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                      > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                      > >

                                      >---------------------------------
                                      >Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
                                      >countries) for 2�/min or less.
                                    • twiggyannm
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 28, 2006
                                        Hi. I just joined the group. I've long lusted over this sweater and
                                        figured it would always be on my "To Do" list, but what better
                                        incentive than a KAL? I need to get a bunch of stuff done in the next
                                        month so I can be ready to go on Sept 1.

                                        Lesley
                                        http://www.mapleontheweb.com