Welcome to the St. Brigid Knitalong

  • katykev
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
      Woohoo! The first post in the St. Brigid Knitalong. My name is
      Katy or Kathleen (I can't decide). I am knitting St. Brigid in
      Jameison Soft Shetland that I got from Lakeside Fibers in
      Wilkinson. I am using my mom's copy of Aran Knitting as it is OOP.
      While it is available on eBay for crazy money, I think most people
      have gotten it from the library.

      I did my swatch yesterday and came close enough to gauge for
      me. :) Other yarns I considered were: Blackwater Abbey and
      Beaverslide. What are others knitting or planning to knit with? I
      think I will start a sleeve first. I just need to find my magnets
      for my magnetic board and I will be ready to go.

      I look forward to hearing from you all. :)

      Katy
    • sue
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
        hi Katy
        I was looking at the Mission Falls wool on the weekend.They had one cable-knit sweater done with it,haging up,but I'm not sure.The mission Falls wool is washable..which is a big plus but it's also 5.50 for 50 grams.I think that might make a expensive sweater don't you? so i'm thinking something rustic like noro wool..hmm,do you think noro would work?

        katykev <katykev@...> wrote:
        Woohoo!  The first post in the St. Brigid Knitalong.  My name is
        Katy or Kathleen (I can't decide).  I am knitting St. Brigid in
        Jameison Soft Shetland that I got from Lakeside Fibers in
        Wilkinson.  I am using my mom's copy of Aran Knitting as it is OOP.
        While it is available on eBay for crazy money, I think most people
        have gotten it from the library.

        I did my swatch yesterday and came close enough to gauge for
        me.  :)  Other yarns I considered were:  Blackwater Abbey and
        Beaverslide.  What are others knitting or planning to knit with?  I
        think I will start a sleeve first.  I just need to find my magnets
        for my magnetic board and I will be ready to go.

        I look forward to hearing from you all.  :)

        Katy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

      • Kathleen Asherah
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
          Hmmm...Noro is pretty expensive too.  Do you have it in the stash?  I used Cascade 220 when I knit Na Craga.  That was pretty reasonable.  Other yarns similar to that include:  Plymouth Galway, Patons Classic Wool...the gauge on Noro might be okay.  Which Noro were you planning on using?  Katy

          sue <knittygirl2003@...> wrote:
          hi Katy
          I was looking at the Mission Falls wool on the weekend.They had one cable-knit sweater done with it,haging up,but I'm not sure.The mission Falls wool is washable..which is a big plus but it's also 5.50 for 50 grams.I think that might make a expensive sweater don't you? so i'm thinking something rustic like noro wool..hmm,do you think noro would work?

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2004
            My info will come from a library copy, just hope it doesn't go missing while I need it! I haven't even thought about yarn yet, just saw you had this going. I have planned to make St Brigid for a long time, now this will be the impetus to go ahead.

            Chris
          • sue

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
                hi chris,could you send your info,blog addy name,over to my blog and then i can add you to the st brigid list!

                Chris <chrisknitz@...> wrote:
                My info will come from a library copy, just hope it doesn't go missing while I need it! I haven't even thought about yarn yet, just saw you had this going. I have planned to make St Brigid for a long time, now this will be the impetus to go ahead.

                Chris

              • vknitorious
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
                  Woohoo! I'm excited, too! I'm awaiting word on the availability of
                  Cascade 220 in the color and quantity needed for St. Brigid (a dark
                  gold). I'm using the library for my pattern source. I will likely
                  start with a sleeve, also. Thanks Katy & Sue!!

                  --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "katykev" <katykev@y...> wrote:
                  > Woohoo! The first post in the St. Brigid Knitalong. My name is
                  > Katy or Kathleen (I can't decide). I am knitting St. Brigid in
                  > Jameison Soft Shetland that I got from Lakeside Fibers in
                  > Wilkinson. I am using my mom's copy of Aran Knitting as it is
                  OOP.
                  > While it is available on eBay for crazy money, I think most people
                  > have gotten it from the library.
                  >
                  > I did my swatch yesterday and came close enough to gauge for
                  > me. :) Other yarns I considered were: Blackwater Abbey and
                  > Beaverslide. What are others knitting or planning to knit with? I
                  > think I will start a sleeve first. I just need to find my magnets
                  > for my magnetic board and I will be ready to go.
                  >
                  > I look forward to hearing from you all. :)
                  >
                  > Katy
                • sue
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
                    glad you joined up Vicki!