September Start Date

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
      Well, it looks like there will be at least three of us either
      starting or resuming St. Brigid in September. I've added the button
      to my blog hoping to attract others.

      There is now a 'Helpful Statistics' and 'Yarn Supplier' Database set
      up. It would help me, and probably others as well, if those of you
      have completed St. Brigid would post your information here. It
      would help me in my yarn selection to see what others have used.

      I'm going to also set up some photo albums and would love to see
      some completed pictures...hint, hint

      Also, there is a place to put your blogsite in the Links section.

      Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes by doing all this. I'm just
      anxious to get all the helpful information I can before starting in
      September!

      Thanks!
      Rebecca
    • Lisa Cann
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006

        Hi Rebecca

        I’m in the middle of our winter here in Australia and am keen to get on with ST Brigid.  I’m planning to do it in a Jo Sharp yarn and in the round.  I’ve done the cast on and the first foundation row but am trying to finish the Fir Cone Shawl first so I will be up for some definite St Brigid knitting over the next 4 or 5 months!

        Lisa

        Well, it looks like there will be at least three of us either
        starting or resuming St. Brigid in September. I've added the button
        to my blog hoping to attract others.

      • MontanFemina
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2006
          Wonderful, Lisa!  I might have to consult you about knitting this in the round...that would be my preference as well.

          It isn't winter here in the Rockies but is definitely cool in temperature.  I don't mind knitting with wool through the summer.  I have a few projects to wrap up before trying out the cables.  It might be tough for me to wait until September; however, I'm hoping that by doing so it will keep me motivated to finish some projects up!

          Looking forward to knitting with you,
          Rebecca
          http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Liz
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
            September sounds like a good date, not too near and not too far. So that makes 4!

            Liz

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
              Hi,

              I'm in too, so now we are 5.

              Anyone else??

              Heidi

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                I'm still plugging away at mine - halfway up the back - so I'm in too!
                I'm going to be working on it a bit this month but there's no way I'll
                be finished by September!

                Liz, near Cambridge, UK
                http://knittingonthegreen.blogspot.com

                Heidi Wollum wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I'm in too, so now we are 5.
                >
                > Anyone else??
                >
                > Heidi
                > http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

              • Aporanee Schauer
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                  I am on! I just order yarn from Mostly Marino -- a small hand-dyed
                  outfit in Vermont. They have wonderful, old-fashioned look but
                  absolutely soft merino/mohair (as opposed to slightly scratchy shetland
                  wool). It's being dyed for me as we speak. As soon as I get the yarn
                  I'll start swatching. I got the pattern from AS book from a local
                  library here in northern Virginia.

                  I love calbes and aran. I am on the aranknitting group and the FLAK
                  group. And I finished Sam the Ram.

                  Great to be on board.

                  Aporanee
                  http://runtyknits.blogspot.com/
                • Monica Weckstr�m
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                    Hi,

                    I am in too. I have knit about 10 inches on the sleeves, but have not
                    decided what to do about the design to fit me better. I am kniting her in
                    Rowan Rowanspun DK in blue because I hope to get a light but still dense
                    fabric with good stitch definition.

                    Monica

                    >Hi,
                    >
                    >I'm in too, so now we are 5.
                    >
                    >Anyone else??
                    >
                    >Heidi
                    >http://knitbyheidi.typepad.com/knit_by_heidi

                  • Theresa
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                      I thought I wrote last week, but maybe it was a private post. I'm in.
                      I am almost done with the back (1 more pattern repeat), and I need
                      some motivation!
                      Theresa
                    • MontanFemina
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                        Hi Theresa,

                        What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid??  Can you post a picture to inspire us even more?

                        Rebecca

                      • MontanFemina
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                          Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)

                          I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado!  I'm anxious to see your hand-dyed merino when it arrives.  What color did you go with?  And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn?  I thought I was going to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm keeping tabs on what everyone is using.

                          Rebecca
                          .

                        • Aporanee Schauer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                            It is crimson. If you are familiar with Green Mountain Spinnery
                            Mountain Mohair it is quite similar, except it is two ply. There is a
                            review in Knitter's review here
                            http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/001019_a.asp
                            The owner is building a web site but it is not up yet. I sent her an
                            email and she sent me color cards and a small sample to swatch. I can't
                            wait. It feels really nice. I probably wont start until September,
                            since I have my husband's Cable 101 (Janet Szabo's) and a Must-have
                            cardigan for me on the needls right now. Once I start I will definitely
                            post progress on the group's photo page and on my blog.

                            MontanFemina wrote:

                            > Wonderful, Aporanee (what a pretty name!)
                            >
                            > I used to live in Fairfax but am now in Colorado! I'm anxious to see
                            > your hand-dyed merino when it arrives. What color did you go with?
                            > And, is it a worsted weight or aran weight yarn? I thought I was going
                            > to use some Cascade 220 in my stash but have changed my mind, so I'm
                            > keeping tabs on what everyone is using.
                            >
                            > Rebecca
                            > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                            >
                            > .

                          • Theresa
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                              Rebecca,
                              I'm using KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, in Stream, and I'm loving it
                              (when I actually work on the thing!) I'll take some photos tonight
                              and post them. Thanks for asking!
                              Theresa

                              --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina
                              <montanfemina@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Theresa,
                              >
                              > What yarn are you using for your St. Brigid?? Can you post a
                              picture to inspire us even more?

                              > Rebecca
                              > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com
                              >

                              > ---------------------------------
                              call rates.

                            • juan2knit
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                                Greetings everyone! I've done a little swatching and I'm leaning
                                towards the cascade 220, but I'm still undecided. Juanita
                              • MontanFemina
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                  Hi Monica,

                                  So, are you starting with the sleeves?  I've done that before with a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St. Brigid...hmmm....

                                  Rebecca

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • savannahchik
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                    If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was pleased
                                    with the results.

                                    Jody
                                    http://www.savannahchik.com

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Monica,
                                    >
                                    > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                    a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                    Brigid...hmmm....

                                    > Rebecca
                                    > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                  • vknitorious
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 12, 2006
                                      Oh, that's right -- I did!  I thought it was a good (small) way to familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that.  It also gave me a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively quick.  Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!  That was very motivating toward the end.

                                      Vicki

                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi Monica,
                                      >
                                      > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                      a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                      Brigid...hmmm. ...

                                      > Rebecca
                                      > http://socks- for-mum.blogspot .com

                                    • Monica Weckström
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 13, 2006
                                        Hi,

                                        Yes I almost always start wih the sleeves. It is a nice way to get atrted,
                                        get used to the motif and see how the texture and fabric turns out. I am
                                        also thunking of some other kind of sleeve setting, perhaps inset but on the
                                        other hand i like the shoulderstrap.

                                        Monica

                                        >From: vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
                                        >To: st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com
                                        >Subject: Re: [st_brigid_kal] Re: September Start Date
                                        >Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:11:19 -0700 (PDT)
                                        >
                                        >Oh, that's right -- I did! I thought it was a good (small) way to
                                        >familiarize myself with the pattern (having never knit anything so
                                        >complicated before) and perhaps to double-check gauge -- not so
                                        >heartbreaking to frog or tink a sleeve if it came to that. It also gave me
                                        >a sense of accomplishment, since the sleeves were finished relatively
                                        >quick. Then, after I'd stalled for a while on the body, I got back to it
                                        >and realized that when I finished knitting the body, that was pretty much
                                        >it -- there would be no Sleeve Island and I'd get right to the making up!
                                        >That was very motivating toward the end.
                                        >
                                        > Vicki
                                        >
                                        >savannahchik <savannahchik@...> wrote:
                                        > If I remember correctly Vicki (vknitorious) did that and was
                                        >pleased
                                        >with the results.
                                        >
                                        >Jody
                                        >http://www.savannahchik.com
                                        >
                                        >--- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, MontanFemina <montanfemina@...>
                                        >wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hi Monica,
                                        > >
                                        > > So, are you starting with the sleeves? I've done that before with
                                        >a Dale of Norway sweater but haven't thought about that for the St.
                                        >Brigid...hmmm....
                                        > >
                                        > > Rebecca
                                        > > http://socks-for-mum.blogspot.com

                                        > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                        > >

                                        >---------------------------------
                                        >Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+
                                        >countries) for 2�/min or less.
                                      • twiggyannm
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 28, 2006
                                          Hi. I just joined the group. I've long lusted over this sweater and
                                          figured it would always be on my "To Do" list, but what better
                                          incentive than a KAL? I need to get a bunch of stuff done in the next
                                          month so I can be ready to go on Sept 1.

                                          Lesley
                                          http://www.mapleontheweb.com