Collar Question

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hi...

      I've been knitting along on St. B, and am just about to seam her up
      and start the collar. I had a question about the ribbed portion of
      the collar if anyone has done it... does it end up looking like a
      turtleneck? It doesn't seem long enough to then fold over, but I
      can't get a good sense of it from the pictures I've seen. Have any of
      you done it and do you have any thoughts? I keep thinking it should
      be longer.

      Thanks!
      Kathy

      (pics on my blog: www.kaffeinatedknits.com)
    • vknitorious
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2006
        It seems that I'm always wearing that sweater from the pics of me that are posted on my blog.  ; )  There's a goofy one, with margaritas, on January 1st that shows the collar quite well -- I would describe the collar as a mock turtleneck, maybe, or perhaps more like a stand-up collar.  I know that I didn't knit as many rows of ribbing as called for in the pattern -- 13 rather than 15.  I think the ribbing helps give the cable part of the collar some stability -- the cable kind of squishes down on itself and I don't know what it would be like without the ribbing (I don't think it would be pretty).

        Vicki
        knitorious.typepad.com/knitorious

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2006
          Vicki -

          Thanks! Your pictures made all the difference - I can now see what
          the pattern was trying to tell me and it now makes sense. Your St.
          Brigid is gorgeous - and I love all the detailed pictures you
          posted. I had the best time flipping through all of them. (And I
          also love your blog!)

          Your daughter looks just like you! What a great picture that is
          from "Margarita Night!"

          Best,
          Kathy

          --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, vknitorious <vknitorious@...>
          wrote:

          > It seems that I'm always wearing that sweater from the pics of me
          that are posted on my blog. ; ) There's a goofy one, with
          margaritas, on January 1st that shows the collar quite well -- I
          would describe the collar as a mock turtleneck, maybe, or perhaps
          more like a stand-up collar. I know that I didn't knit as many rows
          of ribbing as called for in the pattern -- 13 rather than 15. I
          think the ribbing helps give the cable part of the collar some
          stability -- the cable kind of squishes down on itself and I don't
          know what it would be like without the ribbing (I don't think it
          would be pretty).

          > Vicki
          > knitorious.typepad.com/knitorious
          >
          > Kathy <kaffeinatedknits@...> wrote:
          > Hi...
          >
          > I've been knitting along on St. B, and am just about to seam her
          up
          > and start the collar. I had a question about the ribbed portion
          of
          > the collar if anyone has done it... does it end up looking like a
          > turtleneck? It doesn't seem long enough to then fold over, but I
          > can't get a good sense of it from the pictures I've seen. Have
          any of
          > you done it and do you have any thoughts? I keep thinking it
          should
          > be longer.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Kathy
          >
          > (pics on my blog: www.kaffeinatedknits.com)

          > Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

          Service.