Re: [st_brigid_kal] Hi there - new member

  • Dorene Nowatzke
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
      Lisa,

      I am working on my St. Brigid, the second Starmore
      design I have knit. The first was Irish Moss.
      Because I don't want to work an entire garment at such
      a tight gauge, I go down a weight size. For the Irish
      Moss I used a Jo Sharpe DK tweed (sorry, I'm at work
      and can't remember the name), and for the St. Brigid
      I'm using a Debbie Bliss DK wool. Both worked to
      gauge perfectly!

      Good luck and Happy Knitting!

      Dorene in Ohio
      "Where it's all knitting together..."

      --- ljcoz2 <lisa.cann@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone - have been back through the posts and
      > see some familiar
      > noms from blogs of the knitting world which is how I
      > got here in the
      > first place.
      >
      > I and a friend are really keen to have a go at this
      > cabling bonanza
      > and have loved seeing what people have knitted so
      > far.
      >
      > My dilemma - similar to Val, as we are both Aussies,
      > is the yarn. I
      > have some Jo Sharp DK - what we call an 8ply yarn
      > (normally knit on
      > 4.00mm [although we tend to knit a bit denser fabric
      > to US knitters as
      > a rule]) - which I'm wondering will be too fine as I
      > think Cascade 220
      > and the Starmore Heather are more of an Aran weight
      > or what we call a
      > 10 ply and knit on 4.5mm or 5.00mm for St Brigid.
      > Has anyone
      > contemplated a Jo Sharp DK yarn and would it be too
      > thin? I am just
      > finishing Rogue in Jo Sharp Silkroad Tweed Aran in
      > Dusk on 4.5mm
      > needles but this is definitely what we would call a
      > 10 ply. I also
      > have 10 skeins of Lornas Laces worsted weight and
      > that is another option.
      >
      > Would love your thoughts
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > Lisa aka sockmonster

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Liz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
        Hi Doreen,

        thanks for that info - I didn't ask the question, but I have a large cone of Debbie Bliss double knit, and another of Aran, and was wondering which one to set aside for my St Brigid. I'd planned to go down a needle size as I'm only 5ft 2 and the sweater would drown me otherwise, but I was a bit concerned that a double knit might make it come out way too small. It seems I don't need to worry, so I'll give it a try!

        Thanks again

        Liz M

        --- ljcoz2 <lisa.cann@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone - have been back through the posts and
        > see some familiar
        > noms from blogs of the knitting world which is how I
        > got here in the
        > first place.
        >
        > I and a friend are really keen to have a go at this
        > cabling bonanza
        > and have loved seeing what people have knitted so
        > far.
        >
        > My dilemma - similar to Val, as we are both Aussies,
        > is the yarn.  I
        > have some Jo Sharp DK - what we call an 8ply yarn
        > (normally knit on
        > 4.00mm [although we tend to knit a bit denser fabric
        > to US knitters as
        > a rule]) - which I'm wondering will be too fine as I
        > think Cascade 220
        > and the Starmore Heather are more of an Aran weight
        > or what we call a
        > 10 ply and knit on 4.5mm or 5.00mm for St Brigid.
        > Has anyone
        > contemplated a Jo Sharp DK yarn and would it be too
        > thin?  I am just
        > finishing Rogue in Jo Sharp Silkroad Tweed Aran in
        > Dusk on 4.5mm
        > needles but this is definitely what we would call a
        > 10 ply. I also
        > have 10 skeins of Lornas Laces worsted weight and
        > that is another option.
        >
        > Would love your thoughts
        >
        > Thanks again
        >
        > Lisa aka sockmonster

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      • Lisa Cann
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005

          Woo hoo Dorene – I’ll swatch with happiness then!!!  Only hope I’ve got enough – I have around 1900 metres or 2000 yards of the Jo Sharp