ply wool

  • Val
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2005
      Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site. Can you please tell me the
      ply of the wool you use to knit your St Brigids and how big are the
      balls of wool.eg: 50grm or 100grms. I am in West Australia and
      our wool is different here.My pattern is being sent to me, so I want
      to get the right amount of wool before it arrives. Any hints as to how
      to go about starting this beautiful sweater or what to look out for
      along the way that will make it easier to knit.
      Thank you for any information.
      Val.
    • jody pirrello
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2005
        Hi Val!

        Welcome to the group! You'll see that many of us are slowly progressing on this sweater, although
        some have finished (Vicki and Kim come to mind but I know there are others).

        As for the yarn, here's some information that might be useful to you:

        Starmore's yarn that she uses on the pattern is her Hebridean 3-ply. It comes in 50g hanks and is
        approximately 100m. She also lists that the yarn is 11 wraps per inch.

        Here's a link to that page on her site: http://www.virtualyarns.com/about/tech.asp.

        Now, many (most?) of us tried to find a more cost-effective alternative. Quite a few people are
        using Cascade 220 with great success.

        Cascade's specs are: 100g hanks, 4 ply, 200 meters. So, virtually identical specs weight and
        length specs. Cascade does have 1 more ply than Starmore.

        As for yardage, Vicki has weighed in on this one before. I can't recall what her experience was,
        although in general I believe people are buying 1 or 2 hanks more than what's called for just to
        be safe.

        I also recall some knitters starting with a sleeve to get the pattern memorized and to work out
        any final tension issues. I did't do that myself but it sounds like an excellent idea!

        HTH,

        Jody
        http://savannahchik.typepad.com/

        --- Val <val853@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site. Can you please tell me the
        > ply of the wool you use to knit your St Brigids and how big are the
        > balls of wool.eg: 50grm or 100grms. I am in West Australia and
        > our wool is different here.My pattern is being sent to me, so I want
        > to get the right amount of wool before it arrives. Any hints as to how
        > to go about starting this beautiful sweater or what to look out for
        > along the way that will make it easier to knit.
        > Thank you for any information.
        > Val.

      • vknitorious
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2005
          Hi Val,

          Oh, now I can't wait 'til autumn so I can wear my sweater!  I was only able to wear it a few times before having to put it away for summer...

          I have pictures and some details/thoughts about this sweater on my blog here:

          I used Cascade 220 and had purchased 12 hanks.  I made the larger size, but left off the fringe, and used 9 hanks.  I've found, even in the few times that I've worn it, that it really stretches (all that cabling) and if I were to knit it again, I might use the smaller numbers.

          I echo Jody's "Welcome to the group!"  It's a gorgeous sweater.

          Vicki

          --- Val <val853@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site. Can you please tell me the
          > ply of the wool you use to knit your St Brigids and how big are the
          > balls of wool.eg: 50grm or 100grms. I am in West Australia and
          > our wool is different here.My pattern is being sent to me, so I want
          > to get the right amount of wool before it arrives. Any hints as to how
          > to go about starting this beautiful sweater or what to look out for
          > along the way that will make it easier to knit.
          > Thank you for any information.
          > Val.

          St brigidKnitting patternsKnitting supplies
          Vogue knittingKnitting machineCraft

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • VAL KING
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2005
            Hi Vicki,
            I love your pictures, I can now refer to them as I  make progress with my jumper. Your St Brigid is really beautiful. I bet you are very proud of yourself.  Well done.!!!!

             I purchased wool yesterday to start mine, but my hubby liked the colour of the wool which is a rare thing in this house, so now I have put that away for him and I am about to hit the  very few shops here to find another colour.

            Thank you all for the information I received in regards to the ply of wool, it roughly works out to be our 10 ply. No doubt I will purchase extra just to be on the safe side.
            Take care.