Re: [st_brigid_kal] Yarn choices

  • Kathleen Asherah
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2005

      Cascade  is a good choice for knitting St. Brigid.  And it is on sale at WEBS for a great price.  However, is Wool-ease is better for your price range, I am sure it will be fine.  The only issue I could thing of is if it is hazy--it might make it difficult to see the cables.  Have you tried a swatch in it?

      Anyway, welcome to the group!  Do you have a blog?

      Kathleen

      arisunomori <jennydh@...> wrote:
      Hi All,
      I'd like to join your group.  St. Brigid looks like an amazing and
      challenging pattern, and lots of fun.   My local library was able to
      get a copy of the pattern, and I'm looking forward to choosing a
      yarn--
      thanks so much for all of your insight!!

      Since we're putting so much work into this project, might as well
      choose a really really good yarn, so I'm planning to splurge a bit.
      But not spend a fortune on one sweater.  Most of my past yarn
      purchases have been from Michaels, and my instinct is to go with Lion
      Brand Wool Ease... wonder if anyone has any ideas on how that would
      compare with the more high quality(?) yarn that you are using?

      Jenny

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • arisunomori
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2005
        Hi Katy,
        Thanks for your input. I now realize my question was a bit
        premature. After having gone back to read all of your past entries,
        I have many more good ideas for yarn that doesn't cost a fortune.
        I've nearly decided on Cascade 220, and am looking at the light
        light minty green color. It's been my experience that the cables
        show up better on lighter colors, and the gold posted on Vicki's
        blog has me pretty convinced that cascade 220 is the way to go. I
        have knitted cables with wool-ease before, and they don't look
        anywhere near as gorgeous as those.
        Caryn, how are you finding Wool of the Andes?

        Also, I'm looking into knitting a more petite version of the
        sweater, by manipulating gauge. Since I'm barely 5 feet tall, and
        usually take XS top size, I'm not sure it will ever be anything but
        oversized, but would be nice to have something wearable when I'm
        done. What problems could I run into, by, say, using needles
        smaller than the recommended gauge? It looks like the armholes
        would probably still be big enough, but how about the neck?

        Thanks much!!
        Jenny

        --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Asherah
        <katykev@y...> wrote:
        > http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/cascade.html
        >
        > Cascade is a good choice for knitting St. Brigid. And it is on
        sale at WEBS for a great price. However, is Wool-ease is better for
        your price range, I am sure it will be fine. The only issue I could
        thing of is if it is hazy--it might make it difficult to see the
        cables. Have you tried a swatch in it?

        > Anyway, welcome to the group! Do you have a blog?
        >
        > Kathleen
        >
        > arisunomori <jennydh@h...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I'd like to join your group. St. Brigid looks like an amazing and
        > challenging pattern, and lots of fun. My local library was able
        > get a copy of the pattern, and I'm looking forward to choosing a
        > yarn--
        > thanks so much for all of your insight!!
        >
        > Since we're putting so much work into this project, might as well
        > choose a really really good yarn, so I'm planning to splurge a
        bit.
        > But not spend a fortune on one sweater. Most of my past yarn
        > purchases have been from Michaels, and my instinct is to go with
        Lion
        > Brand Wool Ease... wonder if anyone has any ideas on how that
        would
        > compare with the more high quality(?) yarn that you are using?
        >
        > Jenny

        Service.

      • Ann Kohn
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2005
          Hello  -
          I am knitting St. Bridgid and I sized it down because I am just under 5 feet tall and didn't want the sweater to swim on me ... after all that work!
          I am knitting it in Rowan's Yorkshire Tweed DK on 3.5 mm (US 4) needles. My LYS owner - who is excellent at math :-) - helped me with the gauge and she also had me eliminate pattern A, which helped with the sizing quite a bit.
          I'm about 3/4 up the front piece and I think it will fit wonderfully - I love it!
          Ann

          >>> jennydh@... 5/4/2005 1:59 AM >>>

          <katykev@y...> wrote:
          > http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/cascade.html

          > Cascade  is a good choice for knitting St. Brigid.  And it is on
          sale at WEBS for a great price.  However, is Wool-ease is better for
          your price range, I am sure it will be fine.  The only issue I could
          thing of is if it is hazy--it might make it difficult to see the
          cables.  Have you tried a swatch in it?

          > Anyway, welcome to the group!  Do you have a blog?

          > Kathleen
          >
          > arisunomori <jennydh@h...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          > I'd like to join your group.  St. Brigid looks like an amazing and
          > challenging pattern, and lots of fun.   My local library was able
          > get a copy of the pattern, and I'm looking forward to choosing a
          > yarn--
          > thanks so much for all of your insight!!
          >
          > Since we're putting so much work into this project, might as well
          > choose a really really good yarn, so I'm planning to splurge a
          bit.
          > But not spend a fortune on one sweater.  Most of my past yarn
          > purchases have been from Michaels, and my instinct is to go with
          Lion
          > Brand Wool Ease... wonder if anyone has any ideas on how that
          would
          > compare with the more high quality(?) yarn that you are using?
          >
          > Jenny

          Service.

          >  Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is from the Olathe District Schools. The message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy or distribute this message or any attachments, we ask that you please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by return email or by phone (913) 780-7000.
        • sainttjay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2005
            What problems could I run into, by, say, using needles
            > smaller than the recommended gauge? It looks like the armholes
            > would probably still be big enough, but how about the neck?

            If you want to change needle size, I highly recommend making a good
            size swatch first. Your fabric may be too stiff if you go down a needle
            size, and that would be jsut as bad as a too-big seater, IMHO.

            I like the idea of omitting one of the cable patterns.
          • arisunomori
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 11, 2005
              Thanks for your advice. I have yet to receive my yarn from webs and
              haven't looked at the pattern too closely yet. Wow, webs is slow.
              It's been at least a month. Anyone else had this problem?

              --- In st_brigid_kal@yahoogroups.com, "sainttjay" <margotstjohn@y...>

            • Bluedragon2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 21, 2006
                Hi, Loretta;

                I'm actually using Cascade 220 in Turquoise on size 5 needles for my St. Brigid as I like the way the fabric is coming out and I don't want a tent to wear when I'm done. I'm knitting mine in the round up to the armholes as I hate sewing sweaters together. Please take a look at my blog to see some photos of mine in progress. It's a fun knit - enjoy!

                Happy knitting!
                Helen B
                Bluedragon2@...
                BrightHavens.blogspot.com