Thomas Henry Gardiner

  • gardiner.john@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
      Hello, everyone. I only found this group today, and looking through
      some of the posts it has already helped me with new information about
      my family.

      My name is John Gardiner, I live in London and I am the great-great
      grandson of Thomas Henry Gardiner who was born in St Helena in 1857.
      I am descended from Thomas through his daughter, my great-
      grandmother, Eleanor. My grandfather, Benjamin Wallace Gardiner Snr,
      kept his mother's surname.

      My family thought Thomas was from the Cape, though we knew of a
      distant family link to St Helena. It's believed in my family that
      one of Thomas's daughters, probably Louisa, returned to St Helena in
      the early part of the 20th Century. Also, my grandfather used to
      correspond with a relative on the island who lived above the post
      office. His name was Walter Gardiner and it is believed he was born
      in the Cape in 1895. His mother was from St Helena and it seems she
      died giving birth to Walter. He was then sent back to St Helena to
      live with his maternal family who were Scotts. Walter's grandson,
      Malcolm Gardiner, was born on the island and now resides in London.

      I was really pleased to see other descendants of Thomas Gardiner
      posting on this site and would like to contact them to share
      information. I have more information on Thomas Henry's history in
      Southwark, plus photos of Thomas, his wife Eleanor (nee Payne), my
      great-grandmother, Eleanor, and one of her sisters, believed to be
      Mabel. I'd like to find out more about the Gardiners, and would very
      much like to find out more about Thomas Henry's mother, Louise.

      I look forward to sharing more information with you.

      Very best regards.

      John Gardiner
    • Ray Forsberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
        Hi John,

        This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann Payne in my tree;  she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah Payne and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill Longbridge, Wiltshire.  This family were 1820 Settlers.

        Cheers,

        Carol

        On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:45 AM, gardiner.john@... <gardiner.john@...> wrote:

[...]

      • su rowbotham

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
            Sorry, Carol. Don't think there is a connection.

            My great-great grandfather, Thomas Henry Gardiner, originally from St
            Helena, married Eleanor Payne on Xmas Eve 1877 at St
            Martin's-in-the-Fields church in London. Eleanor was definitely born in
            London

            1820 Settlers in the Cape is quite something to have in tyour family!
            Good luck with pursuing Ann.

            Kind regards.

            John

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Forsberg"

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
              Sadly, I don't have much information. What I was told by Malcolm
              Gardiner, a Saint by birth but now living in London, is that his
              grandfather was Walter Gardiner. Walter was born in the Cape around
              1895 to a Gardiner father and a Scott mother (sorry, don't have either
              of their first names). The mother died giving birth to Walter, and soon
              after and for whatever reason, Walter was sent back to St Helena to live
              with his maternal grandparents.

              Malcolm Gardiner may know more but I don't think he's a member of this
              group. I'm seeing him next week in London and will ask him to join and
              share any other information he might have about his Scott family
              connections.

              Best regards.

              John

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "su rowbotham"

              wrote:

              > Hello, everyone. I only found this group today, and looking through
              > some of the posts it has already helped me with new information about
              > my family.
              >
              > My name is John Gardiner, I live in London and I am the great-great
              > grandson of Thomas Henry Gardiner who was born in St Helena in 1857.
              > I am descended from Thomas through his daughter, my great-
              > grandmother, Eleanor. My grandfather, Benjamin Wallace Gardiner Snr,
              > kept his mother's surname.
              >
              > My family thought Thomas was from the Cape, though we knew of a
              > distant family link to St Helena. It's believed in my family that
              > one of Thomas's daughters, probably Louisa, returned to St Helena in
              > the early part of the 20th Century. Also, my grandfather used to
              > correspond with a relative on the island who lived above the post
              > office. His name was Walter Gardiner and it is believed he was born
              > in the Cape in 1895. His mother was from St Helena and it seems she
              > died giving birth to Walter. He was then sent back to St Helena to
              > live with his maternal family who were Scotts. Walter's grandson,
              > Malcolm Gardiner, was born on the island and now resides in London.
              >
              > I was really pleased to see other descendants of Thomas Gardiner
              > posting on this site and would like to contact them to share
              > information. I have more information on Thomas Henry's history in
              > Southwark, plus photos of Thomas, his wife Eleanor (nee Payne), my
              > great-grandmother, Eleanor, and one of her sisters, believed to be
              > Mabel. I'd like to find out more about the Gardiners, and would very
              > much like to find out more about Thomas Henry's mother, Louise.
              >
              > I look forward to sharing more information with you.
              >
              > Very best regards.
              >
              > John Gardiner

            • Ray Forsberg
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2009
                Hi John,

                Thanks for the response,

                Cheers,

                Carol

                <forsbergray@...> wrote:

                > Hi John,
                >
                > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
                Payne in
                > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
                Payne
                > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
                > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Carol

              • John Gardiner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 21, 2009
                  Welcome, Carol.  Keep on pursuing!

                  <forsbergray@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi John,
                  >
                  > This is probably nothing to do with your family, but I have an Ann
                  Payne in
                  > my tree; she was born in 1823 in the E. Cape - parents were Elijah
                  Payne
                  > and Mary Hall; they also had a daughter, Mary, b. 1818 in Deverill
                  > Longbridge, Wiltshire. This family were 1820 Settlers.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Carol

                • John Gardiner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
                    Hi, Su, don't know if this helps but the archives on the island have a marriage certificate stating that Henry Gardiner, 28 yrs, a gunner for the Regiment and living at Ladder Hill, married Lydia Scott, a 23 year-old spinster, on the 19 sept 1893.

                    I'm still tryin gto work out if or how this Henry Gardienr is related to my own Gardiner/Gardner family, but thought the Lydia Scott connection might help you, especially as Henry and Lydia had a son, Walter, and his grandchildren are still alive.  Barbara George is the head of HR in the Govt. of St Helena, while Malcolm Gardiner lives in the UK.

                    Just hope this might give you a lead.

                    Best regards,

                    John Gardiner

                    I'm interested in the Scott family, do you know which Scotts that you are connected with?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22, 2009
                      Thanks John. My mother was a Scott. Su If you find any new info please let me know.
                      Alan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009
                        More than happy to do so, Alan.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 23, 2009

                          This will not help but I have a Clarissa Scott on my tree, b 8 Mar 1801 on St Helena if you ever get back this far

                          Dennis Bush-King.