BROADWAY FAMILY OF ST HELENA

  • miranda7322
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
      I am researching the family of Caleb BROADWAY(b.1752?, location N/K) of
      St Helena, particularly through his son Henry, a Captain in the East
      India Company. Henry's wife Eliza(beth) TORBETT died in 1820, but he
      went on to father many more children by (an) unknown mother(s). One of
      these children, Thomas Frederick (b.1828, St Helena) became a Master
      Mariner, & married an English girl, Mary Ann Garrard in the East End
      of London (thus producing my line).

      Caleb Broadway was baptised as an adult in 1777, then married Mary
      Watts later the same year. I have no record of him (or any other
      Broadways) before 1777.
      Their children:
      George b. 1778, m. Ann KNIPE 1798, d. N/K
      John b. 1780
      Charles b. 1782, d. 1784
      Mary b. 1785, m. Amorett YOUNG 1803, d. N/K
      William b. 1787, d. 1807
      Henry * b. 1788?, m. Eliza(beth) TORBETT 1808, d. N/K
      Robert Ballard b. 1791?

      Henry Broadway was a Lieutenant & later a Captain in the St Helena
      Artillery. He married Eliza(beth) TORBETT in 1808, & she died in 1820
      (in childbirth?).
      Their children:
      Louisa b. 1808, m. Frederick ALEXANDER 1832, d. N/K
      Eliza b. 1811
      Henry Caleb b. 1813
      William b. 1815
      James b. 1817
      Mary Charlotte b. 1820
      Henry's children by unknown mother(s):
      Eleanor Sarah b. 1822
      Charles Edward b. 1824
      Margaret Jane b. 1826
      Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
      Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
      Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832

      I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
      Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
      in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
      mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
      the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
      reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
      and where did the others go?

      I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
      anyone know who his parents were?

      I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
      Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
      tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

      Many thanks,

      Miranda
    • Amorett
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2009
        Hi Miranda

        My name is Amorett Charles Trevor Truebody, and my great-grandfather, Charles Thomas Truebody, was born on St. Helena on 25 February 1872; died on 20 September 1943 in South Africa. He married a St. Helena girl, Ada Temperance Young, born on 2 June 1867; died during the flu epidemic in 1918 in South Africa.

        Is there maybe a family connection between Amorett Young (husband of mary Broadway) and Ada Temperance Truebody (nee Young)?

        Thanks
        Amorett

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
          Hi Miranda,
          Louisa Broadway (born 1808) is an ancestor of mine. She and Henry Broadway had 11 children, the last of whom (Alice Eleanor Alexander 1852,)was my relative. Her first child, Maud Mary Mitchell (born 1872) was my Grand-mother.
          I've just joined the Group and am finding my way through the maze of names and connections. It's so exciting!
          Unfortunately I don't have any information about Caleb and can't add to any of your facts. However, I'm writing to you as I'm excited to "meet" my distant relative.
          I shall certainly be in touch if I have anything to add to your data. If you have anything to share with me I would love to hear from you.
          Regards,
          Gillian

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "miranda7322" <mirandadutta66@...> wrote:

          > I am researching the family of Caleb BROADWAY(b.1752?, location N/K) of
          > St Helena, particularly through his son Henry, a Captain in the East
          > India Company. Henry's wife Eliza(beth) TORBETT died in 1820, but he
          > went on to father many more children by (an) unknown mother(s). One of
          > these children, Thomas Frederick (b.1828, St Helena) became a Master
          > Mariner, & married an English girl, Mary Ann Garrard in the East End
          > of London (thus producing my line).
          >
          > Caleb Broadway was baptised as an adult in 1777, then married Mary
          > Watts later the same year. I have no record of him (or any other
          > Broadways) before 1777.
          > Their children:
          > George b. 1778, m. Ann KNIPE 1798, d. N/K
          > John b. 1780
          > Charles b. 1782, d. 1784
          > Mary b. 1785, m. Amorett YOUNG 1803, d. N/K
          > William b. 1787, d. 1807
          > Henry * b. 1788?, m. Eliza(beth) TORBETT 1808, d. N/K
          > Robert Ballard b. 1791?
          >
          > Henry Broadway was a Lieutenant & later a Captain in the St Helena
          > Artillery. He married Eliza(beth) TORBETT in 1808, & she died in 1820
          > (in childbirth?).
          > Their children:
          > Louisa b. 1808, m. Frederick ALEXANDER 1832, d. N/K
          > Eliza b. 1811
          > Henry Caleb b. 1813
          > William b. 1815
          > James b. 1817
          > Mary Charlotte b. 1820
          > Henry's children by unknown mother(s):
          > Eleanor Sarah b. 1822
          > Charles Edward b. 1824
          > Margaret Jane b. 1826
          > Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
          > Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
          > Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832
          >
          > I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
          > Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
          > in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
          > mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
          > the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
          > reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
          > and where did the others go?
          >
          > I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
          > anyone know who his parents were?
          >
          > I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
          > Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
          > tips you can give me would be much appreciated!
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > Miranda

        • kevinsykes1979
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
            Hi Gillian

            Margaret Jane Broadway (1826, St Helena - 1911, Cape Town) daughter of Capt. Henry Broadway and Eliza Cole was my 3rd great grandmother and married John Stavely Ware in 1848.

            I am also a descendant of the Alexander family as Margaret Maria Alexander (1822, St Helena - 1903, London) was also my 3rd great grandmother who married the Hon. Thomas Edmund Fowler in 1849 (1823, St Helena - 1900, St Helena).

            I do not seem to have Alice eleanor Alexander listed as one of Henry Broadway's daughters...are you abel to elaborate a little more.

            I have done a fair amount of reserahc on these families but also have nothing beyond Caleb Broadway.

            You can contact me off list should you wish at kevin.autopilot@....

            Best wishes

            Kevin Sykes

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "gloffell" <g.loffell@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
            > > Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
            > > Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832
            > >
            > > I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
            > > Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
            > > in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
            > > mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
            > > the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
            > > reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
            > > and where did the others go?
            > >
            > > I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
            > > anyone know who his parents were?
            > >
            > > I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
            > > Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
            > > tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

          • Alice Van Mierlo
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
              Hello there I am also interested in Caleb Broadways, my connection goes through his daughter Mary Broadway who married Amorett Young on 22 Dec 1803.
              Would appreciate some information as well.

              Alice M. Van Mierlo

> [...]

              > > Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
              > > Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
              > > Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832
              > >
              > > I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
              > > Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
              > > in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
              > > mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
              > > the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
              > > reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
              > > and where did the others go?
              > >
              > > I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
              > > anyone know who his parents were?
              > >
              > > I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
              > > Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
              > > tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

            • Gillian Loffell
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 30, 2012
                Hi Miranda,
                I made a big boo-boo when I last wrote to you! My apologies.
                Louisa Broadway (1808 - 1887) was the daughter of Henry Broadway. Louisa married Frederick Augustus Alexander (1811 - 1863) on 11 Dec 1832 and Alice Eleanor Alexander (1852) was their 11th child.
                I hope that information makes everything a bit clearer!
                Regards,
                Gillian

              • paul alexander
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2012
                  Hi Miranda
                  Frederick Augustus Alexander is my ancestor. I have written a book on the Alexander family on St Helena - you may be interested in my book, which can be previewed, and bought online at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2268357
                   Alice Eleanor Alexander born St Helena 17.05.1852, and married William Mitchell.
                  In my book is a picture of Coffee Grove where Alice was born.

                  --
                  Paul Alexander
                  Cape Town
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 19, 2014
                    Searching for information about Photographer W. O. Broadway I came across your entry.
                    Many family's left StHelena in 1834 when the British government took over the running of the island, If anyone knows who was W.O.Broadways family According to B.Grant 1883 his business was well described
                     On the right of this and adjoining the Hussey School is the commodious School of the Benevolent Society erected in 1865, in a line with which are the new Poor House and Lunatic Asylum and the Commissariat stables. Above these is a roofless building called Parade Cottage, formerly the residence of the Commanding Officers of the late St. Helena Regiment, but now converted into a slaughter house, with a date palm in front, and a fine

                    tamarind and margossa trees at the left of it. Adjoining this building is the residence and garden of the Photographer, Mr. W. O. BROADWAY. Part of this garden was washed away by the destructive flood of 1878. Here are to be seen two cocoanut trees, a cypress, eucalyptus, mimosa, loquat, pomegranate, fig, plantain, guava, and cotton trees, and neat little flower beds ; and opposite, plantain, margossa, banyan and thorn trees. The Tourist will notice, a few yards above this house, a vine trailing along the hillside ; this is the cactus (night-blooming cereus,) which presents a pleasing sight when in bloom, its handsome, bell-shaped flowers looking extremely beautiful on moonlit evenings and in the early morn ; but after 8 a.m. they fade away.

                    Could anyone tell me where this is?

                  • John Coyle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 24, 2014

                      As far as I can tell, Mr. Broadway’s house was/is on Side Path, about six or seven buildings up from where it joins Napoleon Street, on the right hand side going towards Longwood.  The Hussey School was established in 1866 and is noted as being next to the Benevolent Society School at the time.  Jackson also refers to a house called “Varney’s”, owned by Broadway, but this is almost certainly another property altogether.  There is another house, as you may already know, called “Broadway House” in Main Street, Jamestown.

                      HTH

                      John Coyle

> [...]

                      > Thomas Frederick * b. 1828
                      > Adelaide Geraud b. 1831
                      > Penelope Frances Mary b. 1832
                      >
                      > I would be very grateful for any information at all about the St Helena
                      > Broadways, but especially on Caleb's origins (was he the first Broadway
                      > in St Helena, & if so, where in the UK was he from?); any idea who the
                      > mother(s) of Henry Broadway's later children was/were?; what became of
                      > the Broadway family after St Helena returned to the Crown? I have
                      > reason to believe some may have gone to South Africa, but if so, who?
                      > and where did the others go?
                      >
                      > I have also traced a Byron Topping Broadway b. 1853 in St Helena; does
                      > anyone know who his parents were?
                      >
                      > I have already done extensive research (including trips to the British
                      > Library & National Archives), & am prepared for more, so any info or
                      > tips you can give me would be much appreciated!

                    • paul alexander
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 25, 2014

                        Louisa Broadway (1808 - 1887) was the daughter of Henry Broadway. Louisa married Frederick Augustus Alexander (1811 - 1863)  are my ancestors.
                        I have written a book about my family on St Helena which can be viewed here: http://www.blurb.com/b/2268357-taming-the-african-veldt-the-alexanders-of-st-hele
                        --
                        Paul Alexander
                        Cape Town
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 27, 2014

                          As far as I can tell, Mr. Broadway’s house was/is on Side Path, about six or seven buildings up from where it joins Napoleon Street, on the right hand side going towards Longwood.  The Hussey School was established in 1866 and is noted as being next to the Benevolent Society School at the time.  Jackson also refers to a house called “Varney’s”, owned by Broadway, but this is almost certainly another property altogether, as her description puts it higher up the hill.  There is another house, as you may already know, called “Broadway House” in Main Street, Jamestown, which was occupied by a Broadway descendant in the 1960's, I believe.

                          HTH

                          John Coyle

                        • ecs7fg
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 28, 2014

                            there was a comment recently about the Broadway family, wherein there was apparently no record of Broadways before 1877.  The 1825 list of inhabitants of St Helena has two Broadways listed.  they are Ann Broadway, a widow & George who is "Clerk to the register master"   The 1829 list includes Capt. Henry, invalid.  In 1832, George is listed as Company's Clerk.

                            Ed of Falcon

                          • ecs7fg
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014

                              Shona had a recent post in which she referred to the marriage of Richard Prince Hopewell.  The 1829 St Helena "List of Inhabitants" includes Sam Hopewell.  His profession is "assist. to Mr. Prince.  Apparently Richard Prince (a merchant) provided a middle name as well as a livelihood.

                              Ed of Falcon

                            • ecs7fg
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2014

                                Arnold Chaplin wrote a book about the people on St Helena in the time of Napoleon.  Included are a couple of pages of marriages.  Here are a few that include some of the names above.  The book was written some time later, about 1914, so it might have errors, but the preamble indicated it came from records at the India Office in London.

                                It says:

                                    Henry Broadway married Eliza Torbett in 1808

                                    John Barnes married Mrs. Seale in 1807

                                    G W Janish married Anne Seale in 1823.

                                Ed of Falcon