Charles Grant

  • Roger Sunderland
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
      I am currently researching my family tree which includes my Gt,Gt Grandfather Charles Grant born Winchester c1806 and in particular his sixth born William Grant Born c1852 on St Helena.
      The questions i am searching for are the reasons for there move from Winchester Hants and any background to there time there other siblings according to census reports are
      1. Caroline,2. Benjamine 3.Sarah F,4. Henry, 5.Louisa 6.Wiliam, 7.John, 8.Alfred

      Best regards
      Roger Sunderland

    • DCAdams
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009

        Roger Sunderland wrote:

        I am currently researching my family tree which includes my Gt,Gt Grandfather Charles Grant born Winchester c1806 and in particular his sixth born William Grant Born c1852 on St Helena.

        The questions i am searching for are the reasons for there move from Winchester Hants and any background to there time there other siblings according to census reports are

        1. Caroline,2. Benjamine 3.Sarah F,4. Henry, 5.Louisa 6.Wiliam, 7.John, 8.Alfred

        I have one small mention of Louisa Palmer Grant, who may be #5. Louisa [above]. I have no information on William. Hope this is of help.

        Louisa Palmer GRANT md. Richard Augustus LEGG on 18 June 1895 at St. Matthew’s Church, St. Helena.

        At the time of her marriage to Richard LEGG, Louisa was listed as a 25 year old spinster, living at the Briars, St. Helena. The witnesses to the marriage were Charles E. S. GRANT and Suzette STROUD.

        St. Helena, Registrar General's Office, Civil Registration 1852-1936

        Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1981.

        FHL/LDS Film #1259105

        Record #1489

        She d. 9 December 1935, at Alarm House. She is buried St. Paul’s East Baptist Cemetery/Knollcombs.Her gravestone inscription is recorded as: In loving memory of Louisa Palma LEGG, wife of R. A. LEGG, Alarm House, who departed this life on 9th Dec 1935 aged 64 years.

        The civil death registration gives her age as 66 years.

        The informant at her death was Arthur JOSHUA, of Half Tree Hollow.

        St. Helena. Registrar General’s Office, Civil Registration Deaths 1857-1936.

        FHL/LDS  Film #1259106.

        Gravestones and Memorials on St. Helena 1686-1975

        Comp. by the 5th and 6th year pupils of the Secondary Selective Schoo

        FHL/LDS Film #1259106

      • Roger Sunderland
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
          Thank you any information is apreciated and if i come across anything on Louisa i wil passit on
          Best regards

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2009
            hi Roger - i unfortunately don't have any info on William -but would like to know what info you have on Louise? please? my gg-grandmother was from st helena and all we know was that her name was louisa but stuck there.but she had children called benjamin and john - so wondering if maybe she could be a relation of yours - did she come to cape town? my louisa came to cape town and married and adolf and later also married a john - could this be the same one?

            > I am currently researching my family tree which includes my
            > Gt,Gt Grandfather Charles Grant born Winchester c1806 and
            > in particular his sixth born William Grant Born c1852 on St
            > Helena.
            > The questions i am searching for are the reasons for there
            > move from Winchester Hants and any background to there time
            > there other siblings according to census reports are
            > 1. Caroline,2. Benjamine 3.Sarah F,4. Henry, 5.Louisa
            > 6.Wiliam, 7.John, 8.Alfred
            >
            > Best regards
            > Roger Sunderland
          • zicomo26
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013

              >Hello Roger
              I am a descendant of Louisa Palmer Grant and can give you a brief resume of her descendants if you are still interested. I'm afraid I know nothing of her past. Thank you for giving me the names of her parents, it was one of my 'brick walls'
              Regards
              Yvonne ________________________________

              > Roger Sunderland wrote:
              > I am currently researching my family tree which includes my Gt,Gt Grandfather Charles Grant born Winchester c1806 and in particular his sixth born William Grant Born c1852 on St Helena.
              > The questions i am searching for are the reasons for there move from Winchester Hants and any background to there time there other siblings according to census reports are
              > 1. Caroline,2. Benjamine 3.Sarah F,4. Henry, 5.Louisa 6.Wiliam, 7.John, 8.Alfred
              >
              > I have one small mention of Louisa Palmer Grant, who may be #5. Louisa [above]. I have no information on William. Hope this is of help.
              >
              > Louisa Palmer GRANT md. Richard Augustus LEGG on 18 June 1895 at St. Matthew¢s Church, St. Helena.
              > At the time of her marriage to Richard LEGG, Louisa was listed as a 25 year old spinster, living at the Briars, St. Helena. The witnesses to the marriage were Charles E. S. GRANT and Suzette STROUD.
              >
              > St. Helena, Registrar General's Office, Civil Registration 1852-1936
              > Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1981.
              > FHL/LDS Film #1259105
              > Record #1489
              >

              > She d. 9 December 1935, at Alarm House. She is buried St. Paul¢s East Baptist Cemetery/Knollcombs .Her gravestone inscription is recorded as: In loving memory of Louisa Palma LEGG, wife of R. A. LEGG, Alarm House, who departed this life on 9th Dec 1935 aged 64 years.
              > The civil death registration gives her age as 66 years.
              > The informant at her death was Arthur JOSHUA, of Half Tree Hollow.
              >
              > St. Helena. Registrar General¢s Office, Civil Registration Deaths 1857-1936.
              > FHL/LDS  Film #1259106.
              >
              > Gravestones and Memorials on St. Helena 1686-1975
              > Comp. by the 5th and 6th year pupils of the Secondary Selective Schoo
              > FHL/LDS Film #1259106

            • Viv Chandler
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
              Hello Yvonne and Roger:

              Unfortunately I only received Yvonne's reply to you and not your original posting, Roger.  This has confirmed the feeling I have had that I don't receive all the messages that come from the group.  I see answers and I am pretty sure I have never seen the original and this has proved my suspicions.

              My husband is descended from the Stroud family who married into the Grants and over the years I have done quite a bit of research.  Unfortunately, due to family circumstances I am unable to do research at the moment.  However, when I read your messages I felt sure I had something in my records that gave the background to why the Grants went to St Helena.  I don't know where I got this from but I have a copy of Benjamin Grant's obituary (who was the father of Louisa Palmer G) taken from the Parish Magazine in 1926.  I attach a copy.

              Benjamin's father was Charles Grant born Winchester in 1806.  Can you imagine leaving one of your children behind on an isolated island knowing you would never see him again?  It just proves how different life was then.

              Hope this helps
              Regards
              Vivien

              Roger Sunderland wrote:
              > I am currently researching my family tree which
              includes my Gt,Gt Grandfather Charles Grant born Winchester c1806 and in particular his sixth born William Grant Born c1852 on St Helena.
              > The
              questions i am searching for are the reasons for there move from Winchester Hants and any background to there time there other siblings according to census reports are
              > 1. Caroline,2. Benjamine 3.Sarah F,4. Henry, 5.Louisa
              6.Wiliam, 7.John, 8.Alfred

              > I have one small mention of
              Louisa Palmer Grant, who may be #5. Louisa [above]. I have no information on William. Hope this is of help.

              > Louisa Palmer GRANT md.
              Richard Augustus LEGG on 18 June 1895 at St. Matthew¢s Church, St. Helena.
              > At the time of her marriage to Richard LEGG, Louisa was listed as a 25
              year old spinster, living at the Briars, St. Helena. The witnesses to the marriage were Charles E. S. GRANT and Suzette STROUD.

              > St.
              Helena, Registrar General's Office, Civil Registration 1852-1936
              > Filmed
              by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1981.
              > FHL/LDS Film #1259105

              Record #1489

              > She d. 9 December 1935, at
              Alarm House. She is buried St. Paul¢s East Baptist Cemetery/Knollcombs .Her gravestone inscription is recorded as: In loving memory of Louisa Palma LEGG, wife of R. A. LEGG, Alarm House, who departed this life on 9th Dec 1935 aged 64 years.
              > The civil death registration gives her age as 66 years.

              The informant at her death was Arthur JOSHUA, of Half Tree Hollow.

              > St. Helena. Registrar General¢s Office, Civil Registration Deaths
              1857-1936.
              > FHL/LDS  Film #1259106.

              Gravestones and Memorials on St. Helena 1686-1975
              > Comp. by the 5th
              and 6th year pupils of the Secondary Selective Schoo
              > FHL/LDS Film
              #1259106

            • Caroline Gaden
              Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
                Hello Vivien
                You probably do get the emails but they end up in your inbox way earlier
                than you are looking... I have this problem too... my inbox says I have
                2 or 3 unread messages but they are high up the list and off the
                screen... I think this is because the list is moderated and the emails
                are 'held up' until the moderator approves them but they are listed on
                your screen with the time of original sending by the poster, not the
                time the moderator sends them on.
                Cheers
                Caroline