Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family History - Butler

  • deborah jenkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2004
      hi bill,
      this should help.  The british library at kings xross, london holds the records of most employees that were based at st helena (if thats where he was based). The reading room you need is called the oriental india office. You would need to get a readers pass to go in as generally they are very strict who uses the reading rooms.
      i was up there the other day. There is so much stuff to get through that one really needs to make a whole day of it.
      good luck,
      deborah
      p.s if stuck mail me

      bill05031959 <billbutler@...> wrote:

      Hi

      I am relatively new to this research but have recently come across a
      connection with St Helena.

      My name is William John BUTLER and I have managed to trace back to my
      great-great grandfather who was John BUTLER.

      He was born in 1827/28 and joined the Royal Artillery on 24th March
      1846, being discharged on 4th June 1867 after 21 years service.

      On his discharge papers it is indicated that he spent 5½ years
      overseas, based on St Helena. I cannot find out when exactly, but I
      suspect he was there in 1856/57 for the reason below.

      In the British Census records for 1881 he is shown living in
      Liverpool, England as a widower, and amongst other family members
      there is a son , John,aged 24, whom it states was born in St Helens,
      England.
      I believe this is incorrect & it should in fact read 'St Helena'.

      I don't know if my gt-gt grandad was widowed whilst in St Helena (in
      which case there may be a gravestone) or in England and unfortunately
      I cannot find out his wife's name....

      Any suggestions please ? Any help would be fantastic as I am at a
      dead end at the moment

      Kind Regards

      William John Butler
      (Bill)