Re: Charles Riley

  • victor.southern
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2008
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "victor.southern"
      <victor.southern@...> wrote:

      > It appears that Charles Riley was baptised on St. Helena in 1859
      > according to Carol Archibald at Wits U.
      > Charles arrived in Mafeking about 1880, was unsuccessful in
      business
      > there - perhaps colour prejudice - and went to the Bechuanaland
      > Protectorate by 1882. There he had a colourful and fairly well
      > documented history and died at Maun in 1941 having married twice
      and
      > produced 4 sons and a daughter.
      > I have never seen that baptismal record - it may state who his
      parents
      > were.
      > It may be that his ancestor was another Charles Riley of the St.
      Helena
      > Artillery who was invalided out and remained on the island. He had
      > relationship with Mary Sam, a slave of Major, later Lt-Col Hodson.
      They
      > married on Aug 18 1821 and she was subsequently emancipated. There
      were
      > several children of this union - Susannah,b 1819, who married
      Richard
      > Laurence on 28 Feb 1835, Hannah b, 29 Jul 1823, Edward Haily b.14
      May
      > 1827 [my birthday also], Mary b 2 Apr 1831 and John b 28 May 1834.
      > It may be that Charles [1859] is directly descended from Edward
      Riley
      > or John, perhaps a son.
      >
      > Can any kind person confirm that link?

      Sorry, I missed out the first son, Thomas Riley, baptised 10 Aug 1815.
    • Amorett
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2008
        Hi

        Could I please have the e-mail address of carol at Wits University?  Thanks.

        Amorett Truebody

        It appears that Charles Riley was baptised on St. Helena in 1859
        according to Carol Archibald at Wits U.
        Charles arrived in Mafeking about 1880, was unsuccessful in business
        there - perhaps colour prejudice - and went to the Bechuanaland
        Protectorate by 1882. There he had a colourful and fairly well
        documented history and died at Maun in 1941 having married twice and
        produced 4 sons and a daughter.
        I have never seen that baptismal record - it may state who his parents
        were.
        It may be that his ancestor was another Charles Riley of the St. Helena
        Artillery who was invalided out and remained on the island. He had a

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2008
          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Amorett" <amorett@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Could I please have the e-mail address of carol at Wits University?
          Thanks.

          > Amorett Truebody
          >
          > It is C@...
        • Amorett