Charles Riley

  • victor.southern
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2008
      It appears that Charles Riley was baptised on St. Helena in 1859
      according to Carol Archibald at Wits U.
      Charles arrived in Mafeking about 1880, was unsuccessful in business
      there - perhaps colour prejudice - and went to the Bechuanaland
      Protectorate by 1882. There he had a colourful and fairly well
      documented history and died at Maun in 1941 having married twice and
      produced 4 sons and a daughter.
      I have never seen that baptismal record - it may state who his parents
      were.
      It may be that his ancestor was another Charles Riley of the St. Helena
      Artillery who was invalided out and remained on the island. He had a
      relationship with Mary Sam, a slave of Major, later Lt-Col Hodson. They
      married on Aug 18 1821 and she was subsequently emancipated. There were
      several children of this union - Susannah,b 1819, who married Richard
      Laurence on 28 Feb 1835, Hannah b, 29 Jul 1823, Edward Haily b.14 May
      1827 [my birthday also], Mary b 2 Apr 1831 and John b 28 May 1834.
      It may be that Charles [1859] is directly descended from Edward Riley
      or John, perhaps a son.

      Can any kind person confirm that link?
    • victor.southern
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2008
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "victor.southern"
        <victor.southern@...> wrote:

        > It appears that Charles Riley was baptised on St. Helena in 1859
        > according to Carol Archibald at Wits U.
        > Charles arrived in Mafeking about 1880, was unsuccessful in
        business
        > there - perhaps colour prejudice - and went to the Bechuanaland
        > Protectorate by 1882. There he had a colourful and fairly well
        > documented history and died at Maun in 1941 having married twice
        and
        > produced 4 sons and a daughter.
        > I have never seen that baptismal record - it may state who his
        parents
        > were.
        > It may be that his ancestor was another Charles Riley of the St.
        Helena
        > Artillery who was invalided out and remained on the island. He had
        > relationship with Mary Sam, a slave of Major, later Lt-Col Hodson.
        They
        > married on Aug 18 1821 and she was subsequently emancipated. There
        were
        > several children of this union - Susannah,b 1819, who married
        Richard
        > Laurence on 28 Feb 1835, Hannah b, 29 Jul 1823, Edward Haily b.14
        May
        > 1827 [my birthday also], Mary b 2 Apr 1831 and John b 28 May 1834.
        > It may be that Charles [1859] is directly descended from Edward
        Riley
        > or John, perhaps a son.
        >
        > Can any kind person confirm that link?

        Sorry, I missed out the first son, Thomas Riley, baptised 10 Aug 1815.
      • Amorett
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2008
          Hi

          Could I please have the e-mail address of carol at Wits University?  Thanks.

          Amorett Truebody

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2008
            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Amorett" <amorett@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Could I please have the e-mail address of carol at Wits University?
            Thanks.

            > Amorett Truebody
            >
            > It is C@...
          • Amorett