Re: Chamberlain Family of St. Helena

  • sigridmcmahon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2004
      Hi Leonie,
      I live in South Australia.
      You will have come across the article by Trevor Hearl: In search of
      Saul Solomon of St. Helena 1776-1852. The information I gave you is
      in there: http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/saulsolomon.htm
      I will now order the LDS church records which go to 1835 and I hope
      to find details.
      It would appear my Lewis Gideon Solomon had no other reason to change
      his name to Lewis Gideon than to distinguish his family from those of
      his brothers. The St. Helena Archives are currently doing a search
      for me on Lewis Gideon and I'll be happy to pass on whatever I get to
      you. I know nothing yet about any children of the Solomon brothers.
      Lewis Gideon had three children I know of:
      Henry H. Gideon, born 1820. He is in the UK 1881 Census as a widower,
      boarder, age 61, general agent.
      Julia Helena Gideon, born abt. 1822. On 5 May 1840 she married J.W.
      Bovell(?) in St. Helena.
      and Luna Kempthorn(e) Gideon, born abt. 1837, died 9 Feb 1892 age 54
      years in Surbiton, Kingston, Surrey UK. On 1 Jan 1857 she married
      Capt. John Baldwin Hainault Rainier of the St. Helena Regiment.John
      was christened on 4 Mar 1834 in St. Mary, Reading, Berkshire, UK.
      Luna and John are my husband's great-grandparents.
      Will keep in touch.
      Regards,
      Sigi