Stroud Family

  • Vivien Chandler
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
      Hi Sue and Alan:

      Just a brief note as I am away for the next couple of days.

      Stephen Stroud was born ca 1800 in Berkshire, UK and became a soldier in the St Helena Regiment of the East India Company.  He arrived in St Helena sometime in the late 1820s and maried Sarah Bateman on 21st July 1832 in St Helena.  After he left the army he became the island's Collector of Taxes.  Stephen died in 1878 and Sarah in 1889 on the island.

      They had several children, all of whose first names began with the letter 'S': the ones I have listed here are Selina, Stephen (b ca 1840), Sarah, Silas William (b ca 1847), Sophia and Susetta but there may have been others.

      Of Stephen and Sarah's children, their son Stephen married Martha Samuel in 1857 and moved away from the island within a few years, Sarah married Benjamin Grant, the island's printer in 1866, and Sophia married, Edward Scott in 1866 who was the Sexton of St Paul's on the island.

      As mentioned in my earlier email, my husband's great grandfather, Silas William Stroud, married Eleanor Sophia Yon and they had a large family, descendants of whom still live on the island today, I believe.

      I may well have more information in my file but it is several years since I worked on this family and I will need to refresh my memory.  I look forward to hearing from you.

      Regards
      Vivien
    • su rowbotham
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2008
        Hi Vivien

        Thank you for this information. I am the G. granddaughter of Gertrude Scott, the daughter of Edward & Sophia.
        I have only limited information on the family, I was aware of Edward being a Sexton, but that is about it.
        Gertrude married a soldier in 1899, they had one daughter, who was born on the island, and they moved from there sometime before about 1910.
        If you have anymore information I would be so grateful. What information I have, I got from St Helena, but it took over a year to arrive!

        Thanks again

        Su

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
          Hi Vivian
          My mother was a Stroud.My Great grandfather was called Silas stroud
          And I assume my Grandfather Seymore Stroud was one of his children my
          mother was the youngest of Seymore`s children her name was Enid .I
          would be interested in any info on the family .

          Thanks
          Derek George
        • Debra Nichol
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2014

            Hi all

            My grandmother Edith Louisa Stroud was born in St Helena on 11/06/1907, her parents were Charles Stroud and Elizabeth Drabble, is there anybody who may have connections to this family?

            Regards,

            Debra Nichol | Project Planner
            Direct Tel | +27 (0) 14 573 1491
            Cell | +27 (0) 84 585 1602
            email | debran@...
            website | www.bafokengplatinum.co.za

            Disclaimer

            This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

          • A. Russ
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2014

              I might. My relatives are Stroud's. My mother was born on St. Helena.  I am getting ready for work. I will write more later.
              Alan