RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Searching for Helen Emma Beatson

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
      Hi Mike - don't forget that there is a St. Helena Island here in Moreton
      Bay, about 10k off-shore from Brisbane!

      HTH

      John Coyle
      Brisbane, Australia

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
        Hi Mike,
        you will find the link here:

        David

      • beatson_mann
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          Hi John,

          First of all thank you for your information. I have not as yet
          located any administrative history for St Helena Brisbane, a short
          chronological history around the time of my ancestor's birth (1846-
          48). St Helena, in Merton bay was named by Australian aborigines
          Noogoon. Its name was changed to St Helena after an aboriginal named
          Napoleon was exiled there in 1826. Merton bay Brisbane had received
          its first (free) settlers 1840, and opened to free settlement 1842. 6-
          7 years before Emma Beatson, was to have been born. A gold rush in
          Queensland (1850) boosted migrants to the area.

          St Helena, Merton bay was to become a quarantine station in 1866.
          Subsequently it became a prison Island. This is vague, because it
          could have been a prison for the colony, rather than for the UK, in
          1867. The prison earned both a tough reputation for inmates, and
          glamour's history in agricultural development, reportedly winning
          several international awards. St Helena, Merton bay is now
          thoroughly a tourist attraction for these settlers. I cannot find
          any colonially based geographical or economic reason for the UK penal
          system, or free settlers to have been drawn to Noogoon or St
          Helena. It seems modern history did not start on this island accept
          as settlement for the penal prison. I will continue to pursue a
          definitive, answer from Australian archivists, family historians, and
          historians around the possibility. Just on the off chance, there
          were settlers on this Island, other than government bureaucracy.

          Thanx Mike

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>