Searching for Helen Emma Beatson

  • beatson_mann
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
      Hi to you all, I am researching my ancestor Helen Emma Beatson. Whom I
      believe may have been born on St Helen around 1847, 1848. Her birth
      place was given in Australia, which I find fascinating that she was
      then, at 17 years of age. She must have made the journey from St Helena
      to Australia in her early teens. Oceanic journeys back then, I can
      assume, was no cruise-ship experience¬Ö anyhow, I am very interested to
      know of any information regarding Emma¬Ö Also in anyway, how I can make
      contact with the Government Archivist for genealogical information on
      St Helena?

      Many Thanx Mike
    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
        Hi Mike - don't forget that there is a St. Helena Island here in Moreton
        Bay, about 10k off-shore from Brisbane!

        HTH

        John Coyle
        Brisbane, Australia

        Hi to you all, I am researching my ancestor Helen Emma Beatson. Whom I
        believe may have been born on St Helen around 1847, 1848. Her birth
        place was given in Australia, which I find fascinating that she was
        then, at 17 years of age. She must have made the journey from St Helena
        to Australia in her early teens. Oceanic journeys back then, I can
        assume, was no cruise-ship experience. anyhow, I am very interested to
        know of any information regarding Emma. Also in anyway, how I can make

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2008
          Hi Mike,
          you will find the link here:

          David

        • beatson_mann
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
            Hi John,

            First of all thank you for your information. I have not as yet
            located any administrative history for St Helena Brisbane, a short
            chronological history around the time of my ancestor's birth (1846-
            48). St Helena, in Merton bay was named by Australian aborigines
            Noogoon. Its name was changed to St Helena after an aboriginal named
            Napoleon was exiled there in 1826. Merton bay Brisbane had received
            its first (free) settlers 1840, and opened to free settlement 1842. 6-
            7 years before Emma Beatson, was to have been born. A gold rush in
            Queensland (1850) boosted migrants to the area.

            St Helena, Merton bay was to become a quarantine station in 1866.
            Subsequently it became a prison Island. This is vague, because it
            could have been a prison for the colony, rather than for the UK, in
            1867. The prison earned both a tough reputation for inmates, and
            glamour's history in agricultural development, reportedly winning
            several international awards. St Helena, Merton bay is now
            thoroughly a tourist attraction for these settlers. I cannot find
            any colonially based geographical or economic reason for the UK penal
            system, or free settlers to have been drawn to Noogoon or St
            Helena. It seems modern history did not start on this island accept
            as settlement for the penal prison. I will continue to pursue a
            definitive, answer from Australian archivists, family historians, and
            historians around the possibility. Just on the off chance, there
            were settlers on this Island, other than government bureaucracy.

            Thanx Mike

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>