Re: Richard Clingham and Ancestors

  • frankfcraig
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 2008
      Hi There,

      I have a Clingham ancestor. This was at an earlier date that yours.
      There are still Clinghams on Saint Helena so it is highly likely that
      they are offspring of the one, original Clingham family.

      There was a census done on Saint Helena in 1814 and there were no
      Clinghams mentioned in it so the original family or ancestor must
      have moved to Saint Helena between 1814 and 1856. The details I have
      are these:

      1) HENRY DEVLIN / MINOR / BACHELOR / PRIVATE ST H REG / JAMESTOWN

      married on 2.8.1856 TO

      CATHARINE CLINGHAM / MINOR / SPINISTER / JAMESTOWN

      2) Catherine Clingham was the daughter of William Clingham and
      Elizabeth Reid. She was born on Saint Helena in 1833. She died in
      Glasgow on 12 April 1912 in the Western Infirmary Hospital of cardiac
      valve disease and hyperstatic congestion of lungs.

      3) Catherine Clingham and Henry Devlin had five children:

      Catherine Devlin born on Saint Helena on 14th May 1863.
      Alice Devlin born in 1863, Glasgow, Scotland.
      Henrietta Devlin on 6th June 1875 in Glasgow, Scotland.
      Henry Devlin born in 1877 in Glasgow, Scotland.
      Georgina Devlin born in 1881 in Glasgow, Scotland.

      We can presume that the Devlins left Saint Helena by boat after the
      birth of Catherine Devlin on 14th May 1863. The birth dates of some
      of the children were from later Glasgow censuses so may be slightly
      out (for example Alice Devlin was supposedly also born in 1863 which
      would be in month 7 of mum's pregnancy?). People were not as good
      with dates in those days?

      4) Catherine Clingham could not write as she signed the birth
      certificate of Henrietta Devlin with a "x". This was fairly typical
      in those days as there was little or no formal schooling.

      I have traced this branch of the Clinghams through to the modern day
      in Scotland. Their offspring have married around Glasgow and thei
      descendants are now here and in Austrialia.

      Hope this all helps.

      Frank Craig
    • Clifford Masters [sthelena postcards]
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2008
        Frank
        Thank you for that information. It does sound as if they are the same family.
        every bit of information helps thanks for the web site information
        Clifford

        • FrankFCraig@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2008
            Hi Carol,