Richard Clingham

  • shpostcards
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
      Richard Clingham Married Martha? around 1866/7
      Children
      Martha Ann L 1867
      Mary Alice 1871
      Nancy Johanna 1873
      Bertha Jemima 1875
      Richard William 1877
      Emily Louisa 1879
      Rosa georgina 1882
      Edward Fredrick 1877

      I have not found a marriage perhaps they were or were not married or
      married outside St.Helena.
      These Children records were from the baptisms I have the dates .
      Also
      A William Clingham had 8 children from 1858 to 1878 and have yet to
      find if he was a brother Most of the children were born in Longwood
      or Tobacco Plain.

      The earliest marriage of any Clinghams Found on St.Helena.
      James Clingham to Mary Margaret Walker 1878, James Clingham to
      Harriet Rosina Williams 1893,
      And William Richard Clingham to Emily Sussana Henry 1899
      Can anyone fill in anymore of these people.

      Clifford
    • frankfcraig
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2008
        Hi There,

        I have a Clingham ancestor. This was at an earlier date that yours.
        There are still Clinghams on Saint Helena so it is highly likely that
        they are offspring of the one, original Clingham family.

        There was a census done on Saint Helena in 1814 and there were no
        Clinghams mentioned in it so the original family or ancestor must
        have moved to Saint Helena between 1814 and 1856. The details I have
        are these:

        1) HENRY DEVLIN / MINOR / BACHELOR / PRIVATE ST H REG / JAMESTOWN

        married on 2.8.1856 TO

        CATHARINE CLINGHAM / MINOR / SPINISTER / JAMESTOWN

        2) Catherine Clingham was the daughter of William Clingham and
        Elizabeth Reid. She was born on Saint Helena in 1833. She died in
        Glasgow on 12 April 1912 in the Western Infirmary Hospital of cardiac
        valve disease and hyperstatic congestion of lungs.

        3) Catherine Clingham and Henry Devlin had five children:

        Catherine Devlin born on Saint Helena on 14th May 1863.
        Alice Devlin born in 1863, Glasgow, Scotland.
        Henrietta Devlin on 6th June 1875 in Glasgow, Scotland.
        Henry Devlin born in 1877 in Glasgow, Scotland.
        Georgina Devlin born in 1881 in Glasgow, Scotland.

        We can presume that the Devlins left Saint Helena by boat after the
        birth of Catherine Devlin on 14th May 1863. The birth dates of some
        of the children were from later Glasgow censuses so may be slightly
        out (for example Alice Devlin was supposedly also born in 1863 which
        would be in month 7 of mum's pregnancy?). People were not as good
        with dates in those days?

        4) Catherine Clingham could not write as she signed the birth
        certificate of Henrietta Devlin with a "x". This was fairly typical
        in those days as there was little or no formal schooling.

        I have traced this branch of the Clinghams through to the modern day
        in Scotland. Their offspring have married around Glasgow and thei
        descendants are now here and in Austrialia.

        Hope this all helps.

        Frank Craig
      • FrankFCraig@aol.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 20, 2008
            Also,

            Check out the Clinghams Under "Ocean Islands" listed here:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ancestorsearchresults.asp?standardize=N&last_name=Clingham

            Regards

            Frank Craig

[...]

          • Clifford Masters [sthelena postcards]
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 21, 2008
              Frank
              Thank you for that information. It does sound as if they are the same family.
              every bit of information helps thanks for the web site information
              Clifford

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 21, 2008
                  Hi Carol,

                  See here: