SGT. MAJOR JOHN GORDON OF HM 91ST REGIMENT

  • Ray Forsberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      Hi all,

      I am researching my late husband's family.  His g-g-g-grandfather was Sgt. Major John Gordon of the 91st Regiment stationed on St. Helena in the 1800's.  He and his wife Anne? had a son, also named John, born on 13th October 1837 on St. Helena.  I am trying to trace the origins of Sgt. Major John Gordon, as well as his wife, Anne, whose surname was not recorded in the baptism register.  I have been in touch with the authorities on St. Helena and they have not been able to find a marriage record for John and Anne.  I note that there are records held on St. Helena of Muster and Pension Rolls, 1789 - 1859, and I wondered whether it would be possible for me to obtain access to these documents in an effort to find out more about John Gordon.

      His son John later became a clergyman and was stationed at the All Saint's Anglican Mission at Engcobo, Transkei from about 1859.  I know that the 91st were re-deployed to South Africa in 1839 to assist in the Frontier Wars.  It could be that the family stayed on in South Africa.  I also have a record of a battle on December 1850 in the Eastern Cape, in which a Leiut. Gordon was killed.

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Carol Forsberg