Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Chamberlain Family of St. Helena

  • Leonie Foley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2004
      Hi Sigi,
      Thanks for that information. I've updated my file and I already had some it
      from my LDS IGI searches. I have Saul Solomon marrying Harriet Bryant in
      1824. Do you know if they had any children ?

      I've attached my file for you.

      How come Lewis has the surname Gideon ? I'd very much appreciate any
      information you would be willing to share, especially about the descendants
      of Mary and Eliza Chamberlain who married Solomon brothers.

      Where do you live ? I'm interesed to know of where the original inhabitants
      of St. Helena all ended up. I'd love to visit the Island but it would
      probably cost a fortune to get to such a remote destination.

      Thanks again,

      Leonie Foley
      Australia

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2004
        Hi Leonie,
        I live in South Australia.
        You will have come across the article by Trevor Hearl: In search of
        Saul Solomon of St. Helena 1776-1852. The information I gave you is
        in there: http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/saulsolomon.htm
        I will now order the LDS church records which go to 1835 and I hope
        to find details.
        It would appear my Lewis Gideon Solomon had no other reason to change
        his name to Lewis Gideon than to distinguish his family from those of
        his brothers. The St. Helena Archives are currently doing a search
        for me on Lewis Gideon and I'll be happy to pass on whatever I get to
        you. I know nothing yet about any children of the Solomon brothers.
        Lewis Gideon had three children I know of:
        Henry H. Gideon, born 1820. He is in the UK 1881 Census as a widower,
        boarder, age 61, general agent.
        Julia Helena Gideon, born abt. 1822. On 5 May 1840 she married J.W.
        Bovell(?) in St. Helena.
        and Luna Kempthorn(e) Gideon, born abt. 1837, died 9 Feb 1892 age 54
        years in Surbiton, Kingston, Surrey UK. On 1 Jan 1857 she married
        Capt. John Baldwin Hainault Rainier of the St. Helena Regiment.John
        was christened on 4 Mar 1834 in St. Mary, Reading, Berkshire, UK.
        Luna and John are my husband's great-grandparents.
        Will keep in touch.
        Regards,
        Sigi