Re: powke maker

  • margbarber2004
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lionelthomas46"
      <lionelthomas@...> wrote:

      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jamesteebee"
      > <jamesteebee@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
      > is
      > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
      punch
      > or a
      > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
      > victualler's
      > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > James
      > >

      > Hello,
      > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
      is
      > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
      Then
      > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
      > Regards,
      > Lionel

      Peruke maker
    • YVONNE LOUDON
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
        Mmmm, I appear to have started a thread here, and I thank you all for your interpretations - so far Marg has the gold star!  I will now put in my (boring) 2p worth.

        Christine knows that John Legg jnr was a publican, but I put it to you that, maybe, the first John Legg, according to the description of his employment, was more likely a have been a supplier of provisions?

        The dictionary's I looked up have 'victualer' as either an innkeeper or a supplier of provisions -particularly to ships!

        I lived in Scotland for a number of years and, interestingly, the word 'poke' is still used to describe a bag or sack used for carrying 'messages' (groceries).

        Does this make sense to you?

        I await the replies!
        Yvonne

        <lionelthomas@ ...> wrote:

        > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "jamesteebee"
        > <jamesteebee@ > wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
        > is
        > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
        punch
        > or a
        > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
        > victualler's
        > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > James
        > >

        > Hello,
        > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
        is
        > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
        Then
        > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
        > Regards,
        > Lionel

        Peruke maker