Re: powke maker

  • lionelthomas46
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jamesteebee"
      <jamesteebee@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
      is
      > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be punch
      or a
      > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
      victualler's
      > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > James

      Hello,
      As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w" is
      really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche". Then
      a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
      Regards,
      Lionel
    • margbarber2004
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lionelthomas46"
        <lionelthomas@...> wrote:

        > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jamesteebee"
        > <jamesteebee@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
        > is
        > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
        punch
        > or a
        > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
        > victualler's
        > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > James
        > >

        > Hello,
        > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
        is
        > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
        Then
        > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
        > Regards,
        > Lionel

        Peruke maker
      • YVONNE LOUDON
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
          Mmmm, I appear to have started a thread here, and I thank you all for your interpretations - so far Marg has the gold star!  I will now put in my (boring) 2p worth.

          Christine knows that John Legg jnr was a publican, but I put it to you that, maybe, the first John Legg, according to the description of his employment, was more likely a have been a supplier of provisions?

          The dictionary's I looked up have 'victualer' as either an innkeeper or a supplier of provisions -particularly to ships!

          I lived in Scotland for a number of years and, interestingly, the word 'poke' is still used to describe a bag or sack used for carrying 'messages' (groceries).

          Does this make sense to you?

          I await the replies!
          Yvonne

          <lionelthomas@ ...> wrote:

          > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "jamesteebee"
          > <jamesteebee@ > wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
          > is
          > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
          punch
          > or a
          > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
          > victualler's
          > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > James
          > >

          > Hello,
          > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
          is
          > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
          Then
          > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
          > Regards,
          > Lionel

          Peruke maker