powke maker

  • jamesteebee
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
      Hello all,

      Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting is
      notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be punch or a
      variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the victualler's
      trade. Anyway, just a thought.

      Regards

      James
    • lionelthomas46
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jamesteebee"
        <jamesteebee@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
        is
        > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be punch
        or a
        > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
        victualler's
        > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > James

        Hello,
        As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w" is
        really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche". Then
        a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
        Regards,
        Lionel
      • margbarber2004
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "lionelthomas46"
          <lionelthomas@...> wrote:

          > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jamesteebee"
          > <jamesteebee@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
          > is
          > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
          punch
          > or a
          > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
          > victualler's
          > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > James
          > >

          > Hello,
          > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
          is
          > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
          Then
          > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
          > Regards,
          > Lionel

          Peruke maker
        • YVONNE LOUDON
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
            Mmmm, I appear to have started a thread here, and I thank you all for your interpretations - so far Marg has the gold star!  I will now put in my (boring) 2p worth.

            Christine knows that John Legg jnr was a publican, but I put it to you that, maybe, the first John Legg, according to the description of his employment, was more likely a have been a supplier of provisions?

            The dictionary's I looked up have 'victualer' as either an innkeeper or a supplier of provisions -particularly to ships!

            I lived in Scotland for a number of years and, interestingly, the word 'poke' is still used to describe a bag or sack used for carrying 'messages' (groceries).

            Does this make sense to you?

            I await the replies!
            Yvonne

            <lionelthomas@ ...> wrote:

            > --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, "jamesteebee"
            > <jamesteebee@ > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > Just a guess on my part, but I suggest that since old handwriting
            > is
            > > notoriously difficult to decipher, "powke" might actually be
            punch
            > or a
            > > variant spelling thereof. This might also fit in with the
            > victualler's
            > > trade. Anyway, just a thought.
            > >
            > > Regards
            > >
            > > James
            > >

            > Hello,
            > As to the mystery of what a "powke maker" is. Believe that the "w"
            is
            > really "uc" and the "k" becomes an "h" making the word "pouche".
            Then
            > a "pouche maker" is one who makes bags working usually in leather.
            > Regards,
            > Lionel

            Peruke maker