Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Yon family tree

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2 10:25 PM
      I wish someone could help me find a George (surname) connection.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 9, 2009
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Crystal Williams <cryswil27@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rachel Maria and William's marriage is recorded in
        > the attached document of marriages on st helena
        > island. i have also attached the births for you to
        > have a look at. (Jenny is my aunt and this is what we
        > found on the st helena family tree website)-CRYSTAL
        >
        > --- Rachel Hall <mimbza@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in
        > > her post. I am interested in how to get acces to
        > > this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria
        > > Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
        > >

        > > Thanks

        Hi I know this is a long shot but I was wondering whether you've come across a Maude Richardson born in St Helena in the late 1800's or early 1900's and married my great grand father Henry Graham,they then relocated to SA i believe in the 1930's in your family tree search??

        Lester

        > > Rachel
        > >

        > > Get the name you always wanted with the new
        > > y7mail email address.
        > > www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail

        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

      • lessie
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Rachel Hall <mimbza@...> wrote:

          > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Rachel
          >

          > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
          > www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail
          >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
          a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
          Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
          witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
          another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
          not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
          family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
          was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
          Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
          if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
          said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
          violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
          bells with anyone else.

          Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
          Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

          Regards

          James Brookes

          Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
          Kind Regards
        • Nancy-Jo Nunez
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
            Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

            > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
            >

            > Thanks
            >
            > Rachel
            >

            > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
            > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
            >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
            a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
            Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
            witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
            another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
            not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
            family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
            was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
            Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
            if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
            said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
            violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
            bells with anyone else.

            Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
            Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

            Regards

            James Brookes

            Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
            Kind Regards

          • su rowbotham
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 29, 2009
              Who did you write to?
              It took a year for me to get information, and I had to pay for the research.
              I suggest you contact them again.

              Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM
              Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: Yon family tree

              Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

              > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
              >

              > Thanks
              >
              > Rachel
              >

              > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
              > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
              >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
              a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
              Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
              witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
              another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
              not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
              family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
              was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
              Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
              if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
              said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
              violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
              bells with anyone else.

              Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
              Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

              Regards

              James Brookes

              Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
              Kind Regards

            • Dennis and Jenny
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009

                Yes I wrote to St Helena, paid I think £20, and over 6 months later got a reply.  I think there is only one archivist – when I enquired once I was 33rd on the list or something.

                Dennis

                Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am
                interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.

                > Thanks
                >
                > Rachel
                >

                > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                > www.yahoo7.com.
                au/y7mail
                >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                bells with anyone else.

                Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                Regards

                James Brookes

                Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                Kind Regards

              • John Gardiner
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Karen Henry has recently taken on the role as Archivist on the island.  I've certainly found her to be very friendly and more than helpful.  I would recommend you contact her on the following email address - archives@....

                  Best regards,

                  John Gardiner

                  Yes I wrote to St Helena, paid I think £20, and over 6 months later got a reply.  I think there is only one archivist – when I enquired once I was 33rd on the list or something.

                  Dennis

                  Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                  > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
                  >

                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Rachel
                  >

                  > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                  > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
                  >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                  a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                  Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                  witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                  another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                  not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                  family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                  was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                  Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                  if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                  said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                  violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                  bells with anyone else.

                  Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                  Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                  Regards

                  James Brookes

                  Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                  Kind Regards

                • Barry Burns
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Nancy and others,

                    I have actually visited the Jamestown Archives at the Castle many times during the last 11 years.

                    Usually the archivist and any helpers are kept very busy with personal callers on site. In fact, many times it is so crowded that any work is well nigh impossible, especially when the RMS is there. So time to deal with requests is very limited and, as you will understand, such work cannot be rushed. I think patience is a must, however enthusiastic you may be for the information.

                    Best regards,

                    Barry

                    Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                    > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
                    >

                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Rachel
                    >

                    > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                    > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
                    >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                    a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                    Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                    witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                    another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                    not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                    family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                    was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                    Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                    if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                    said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                    violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                    bells with anyone else.

                    Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                    Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                    Regards

                    James Brookes

                    Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                    Kind Regards

                  • Clifford Masters
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Hi Nancy
                        You are not alone
                      perhaps it was a bad time more members have joined and we find more help
                      Clifford

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                        Hi Clifford,
                        Thank you for responding, I'm not sure if the museum there is volunteer or what, but it's impossible to get an answer out of anyone.  I even put an add in a local newspaper down there and nothing.  I'm sure there are relatives down there existing today.

                        My hands are tied, I'm at a loss for another avenue, any ideas ?

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                          Thank you Barry, however, my request was sent via postal mail as well and it's been 3 years, so I may try again.  But 3 years is an extremely long time to wait for an answer.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Thank you very much for sending that through.  I'll give that a try.

                            Karen Henry has recently taken on the role as Archivist on the island.  I've certainly found her to be very friendly and more than helpful.  I would recommend you contact her on the following email address - archives@sainthelen a.gov.sh.

                            Best regards,

                            John Gardiner

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                              Thank you Dennis

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                                Thanks Su, it's been 3 years so I can't recall the persons name.

                                Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM

                                Has anyone ever written to St. Helena for research and received an answer?  I wrote over 3 years ago and got nothing.  Just wondering if anyone on this list has been successful.  Thanks.

                                > Jenny mentioned that there is a Yon family tree in her post. I am interested in how to get acces to this as I am trying to find the ancestors of Maria Yon (born about 1851) wife of William Twynham.
                                >

                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Rachel
                                >

                                > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
                                > www.yahoo7.com. au/y7mail
                                >Regarding James Richards: there is a record of a James Richards being
                                a witness to the marriage of William Knipe, boatman, and Louisa Myra
                                Yon on 5th May 1879.Is this my great-great grandfather? The other
                                witness was Ruth Yon, who may have been married to one Thomas Bagley,
                                another boatman. I mention this for two reasons: the first is that I'm
                                not exactly sure what a boatman did, and secondly, because there is
                                family lore which suggests that either James or, possibly his father
                                was in the Royal Navy. It is also said in our family that there was a
                                Red Richards, so called because of his red hair, again it is not clear
                                if it was James or his father, but I suspect his father, as it was
                                said that he was from Belfast. In addition, one of the two met a
                                violent end in Marseille. I wonder if any of these details ring any
                                bells with anyone else.

                                Before writing my next post I hope to have some details regarding the
                                Caswell connection. Look forward to any comments or suggestions.

                                Regards

                                James Brookes

                                Hi I dont know how far you got with yre research, I went back to this site, until 2006 and the family name you were looking for were mentioned a few timew, I was wondering did you look back on the previous year's reserach, I just copied and paste(d) a bit of what they mentioned about yre Yon Family tree,You might have seen it before
                                Kind Regards

                              • Angus Williams
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 3, 2009
                                  G/day Nancy
                                  try an contact "michelleyon2006@... "she live in  Half tree hollow  StHellena  tell her that Gus gave you her infomation. till later
                                  Angus(Gus)

                                  Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 3, 2009
                                    Thank you so much Gus....have a great day and weekend.  I'll try that and perhaps copy you on the email.  Thank you.

                                    Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM