Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Purkis, 1890s

  • criscross34
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2008
      Hi John, thanks for that! It's still a bit puzzling, though. The
      passenger list says the family was "contracted to land" at St Helena,
      whereas most other passengers were going elsewhere eg Teneriffe or
      Cape Town. My grandfather (who was only 14 months old in September
      1890) also used to talk about Ascension Island, which suggests they
      were in the area for some time.
      I was hoping that there might be a newspaper that noted comings and
      goings, or school records - although these are probably inaccessible
      to me. Maybe I'll just have to wait until the UK inbound passenger
      lists become available online. But thanks for the info - it all helps
      and is much appreciated :-))

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Christine: the call at St. Helena would have been simply a
      provisioning
      > stop. From the very early days until the opening of the Suez Canal,
      almost
      > every ship (if it was friendly, depending who England was at war
      with at
      > the time!) en route around the Cape of Good Hope would call at the
      island to
      > pick up fresh water and food. The number of such calls dropped of
      > dramatically in the years following 1859, as more and more ships
      went via
      > Suez. The exception was those vessels on the regular passenger run
      from
      > Southampton to Cape Town and back, which continued to call at the
      island for
      > mail drops until 1968, when the mail contract ceased and two small ships
      > were found to handle mail and cargo, with a small number of
      passengers each.

      > HTH
      >

      > John Coyle

      George and