Purkis, 1890s

  • chris williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008
      Hi everyone .... recently I discovered that my greatgrandparents George and Annie Purkis and their children travelled from England to St Helena in 1890. Their ship the SS German left Southampton on 12 September 1890 and called into St Helena en route to South Africa. My greatgrandfather was a sergeant in the Royal Marines and his service record has him stationed on board ship at Capetown from 12 September 1890 to the end of 1893. So I'm trying to find out what the family was doing at St Helena (e.g. was this a stopover en route to South Africa or a longer stay). Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I live in New Zealand, and my research options (apart from the internet) are limited. Many thanks if anyone can help ... Christine.

    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008

        Hi Christine: the call at St. Helena would have been simply a provisioning stop.  From the very early days until the opening of the Suez Canal, almost every  ship (if it was friendly, depending who England was at war with at the time!) en route around the Cape of Good Hope would call at the island to pick up fresh water and food.  The number of such calls dropped of dramatically in the years following 1859, as more and more ships went via Suez.  The exception was those vessels  on the regular passenger run from Southampton to Cape Town and back, which continued to call at the island for mail drops until 1968, when the mail contract ceased and two small ships were found to handle mail and cargo, with a small number of passengers each.

        HTH

        John Coyle

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2008
          Hi John, thanks for that! It's still a bit puzzling, though. The
          passenger list says the family was "contracted to land" at St Helena,
          whereas most other passengers were going elsewhere eg Teneriffe or
          Cape Town. My grandfather (who was only 14 months old in September
          1890) also used to talk about Ascension Island, which suggests they
          were in the area for some time.
          I was hoping that there might be a newspaper that noted comings and
          goings, or school records - although these are probably inaccessible
          to me. Maybe I'll just have to wait until the UK inbound passenger
          lists become available online. But thanks for the info - it all helps
          and is much appreciated :-))

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "John Coyle" <jcoyle@...>

          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http:/mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8H