Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Samuel & Mary Rawnsley, arrived on St Helena March 1826 aboard the Lord Lowther

  • Pauline Jagger
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi Barbara

      I do hope you find what you are looking for.  I too would dearly love to go to St Helena and see where my GG Grandma was born.   Hopefully, one day there will be an airport there making it easier to travel there!

      Regards

      Pauline

      Barbara MacLeod <brbrmacleod@...> wrote:
      Hello and thank you. I have already looked at the baptism, marriage and death microfilm but was unaware of the regimental documents. We have an LDS library just a few miles away and it has been most helpful but I will look again. I need to investigate the second and third son issue too as my ancestor was apparently second or third and thus went military.  I really would like to go to St. Helena; it would be a grand adventure! Regards and happy new year, B

      rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Greetings Barbara - Happy New Year!

      Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you.

      The muster rolls for St Helena are available to view on film from
      your local LDS Centre (Latter Day Saints). If you go to
      familysearch. org you will be able to find where your nearest one is.

      It costs about £2 - £2.50 per film which they will then keep
      available for you to view (on site) for a month (longer if you want -
      at an additional cost). The muster rolls were done quarterly, giving
      quite a lot of detail (one film contained a good number of muster
      rolls from what I remember) - I was able to track my relative for the
      10 years he was there. They also have the baptism and burial records
      on film too which I found very useful and was able to trace all four
      of his children that were born there.

      If you need me to be more precise about just what I looked at, please
      get back to me. I will then get the film numbers for you. Good luck.

      Regards Pauline

      --- In st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com, Barbara MacLeod
      <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

      > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
      the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
      He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
      would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

      > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
      >
      > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
      (born
      > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
      Lord
      > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
      > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
      > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
      > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
      and
      > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
      > any further information or has connections with this family.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Pauline
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      Search.

    • su rowbotham
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
        5 years to go till the airport is open I believe.
        I'm saving already

        Su

        Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:22 PM
        Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Samuel & Mary Rawnsley, arrived on St Helena March 1826 aboard the Lord Lowther

        <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

        > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
        the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
        He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
        would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

        > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
        >
        > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
        (born
        > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
        Lord
        > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
        > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
        > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
        > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
        and
        > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
        > any further information or has connections with this family.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Pauline
        >

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---
        Search.

      • Barbara MacLeod
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 19, 2008
          Hello and I nipped over to our local branch this morning and got rather a blank look on my request. If you have the film numbers for the muster rolls, I would be most grateful and will return to order them.  The quest continues! Regards, Barbara

          <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

          > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
          the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
          He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
          would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

          > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
          >
          > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
          (born
          > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
          Lord
          > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
          > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
          > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
          > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
          and
          > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
          > any further information or has connections with this family.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Pauline
          >

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          Search.

        • Barbara MacLeod
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 19, 2008
            Hello and the airport is supposed to be completed in 2010 but I love the idea of travelling by Royal Mail ship....I need to save my pennies! Cheers, B

            <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

            > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
            the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
            He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
            would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

            > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
            >
            > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
            (born
            > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
            Lord
            > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
            > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
            > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
            > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
            and
            > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
            > any further information or has connections with this family.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Pauline
            >

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            Search.

          • Pauline Jagger
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 20, 2008
              Hi Barbara

              I have been on to the Familysearch.org site and copied the details of the muster roll films.
              As follows:

              Title
              St. Helena muster and pension rolls, 1789-1859
              Authors
              India Office. Military Department (Main Author)
              Notes
              Microfilm of original records in possession of the British Library, London.
              Includes the name, rank, company, regiment, date of arrival, date of discharge and other information for soldiers serving on St. Helena.
              Includes some partial indexes.
              St. Helena, located in the south Atlantic Ocean, was occupied by troops of the East India Company between 1659 and 1836. In 1836, company troops were replaced by regular British troops.
              India Office Military Department collection no.: L/MIL/13/1-15
              Subjects
              Great Britain - Military records
              India - Military records
              Saint Helena - Military records
              Format
              Manuscript (On Film)
              Language
              English
              Publication
              Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1996
              Physical
              7 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
              Film Notes
              Note - Location [Film]
              Pension and muster roll 1789-1801 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029841 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1802-1805 Index of casualties by death and discharge 1800-1823 Pension and muster roll 1806-1810 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029842 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1810-1816 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029843 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1816-1821 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029844 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1821-1825 -  VAULT BRITISH Film [ 2029845 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1825-1830 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029846 ]
              Pension and muster roll 1830-1859 Index of pensioners 1835-1837 -  FHL BRITISH Film [ 2029863 ]

              I was interested in the 1826 to 1836 films as Samuel was discharged from the East India Company when it was handed over to regular troops.  These films were well worth looking at for information providing they cover the time period you are interested in.  Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

              <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

              > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
              the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
              He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
              would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

              > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
              >
              > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
              (born
              > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
              Lord
              > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
              > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
              > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
              > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
              and
              > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
              > any further information or has connections with this family.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Pauline
              >

              > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              Search.

            • Barbara MacLeod
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2008
                Hello and ZOUNDS! Thank you very much. I will nip over there tomorrow as they are closed today for the Martin Luther King holiday. My ancestor came later but the last film may have some information. We had surmised that he was the second or third son and thus joined the military but time and research will tell. Thank you and regards, B

                <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

                > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
                the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
                He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
                would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

                > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
                >
                > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
                (born
                > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
                Lord
                > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
                > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
                > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
                > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
                and
                > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
                > any further information or has connections with this family.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Pauline
                >

                > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                Search.

              • Trevor and Jill Riches
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 21, 2008

                  How do I unsubscribe?  I’ve been using the unsubscribe button on the bottom of the posts everyday for a week with no results!

                  Kind regards

                  Jill

                  Hello and ZOUNDS! Thank you very much. I will nip over there tomorrow as they are closed today for the Martin Luther King holiday. My ancestor came l

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                • Pauline Jagger
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 21, 2008
                    Hi Barbara

                    Glad to be able to help.  Do hope you find something of interest.

                    <brbrmacleod@ ...> wrote:

                    > Hello and I would be delighted to learn more about investigating
                    the muster rolls as my ancestor was also in the St. Helena Regiment.
                    He came to the island some time priot to an 1854 marriage there but I
                    would love to learn from whence the came. Regards, Barbara MacLeod

                    > rawnsley17 <rawnsley17@ ...> wrote: Greetings all
                    >
                    > I am new to this group. My 3xGreat Grandfather Samuel Rawnsley
                    (born
                    > in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1801) sailed out to St Helena aboard the
                    Lord
                    > Lowther with his wife Mary. Samuel served in the St Helena Regiment
                    > for 10 years (I have been able to trace him in the Muster Rolls)
                    > returning home in 1836 aboard The Maitland. By this time Samuel and
                    > Mary had had four daughters - Sarah, Ann (my line), Charlotte Eliza
                    and
                    > Mary Elizabeth. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has
                    > any further information or has connections with this family.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Pauline

                    Search.