George and Benjamin Families

  • terryb0100
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008

      Hello to all,
      I am trying to do some fanily research and have now run into a few problems. The story that I have so far is:- two british soldiers serving as part of the garrison guarding Napoleon during his exile to the island, one with the surname of George and the other Benjamin.
      They married two sisters who were in service as domestics in the officers mess. When the garrison was split up they and there families were sent to South Africa.
      The Georges went to the Cape, they had 6 chldren,  one a girl called Ethereda George who married a Norwegian called Eric Daniel Barth, they in turn had 8 children one a girl called Ellen Catherine Barth who married a  man called Andrew Martin Bengtson.
      The Benjamins went to Durban and had 6 children, one a girl called Florence Benjamin, she married a Swedish man called Anders Martin Bengtson (he changed his name to Andrew when he got married).
      Amongst Florence's and Ander's Children was the Andrew Martin Bengtson who Married Ellen Catherine Barth (Daughter of Ethelreda George).
      Complicated is it not.
      I have been intouch with the archive staff on St.Helena but they only name they have come up with is a William George who married a Mary Scott,but did not know if she had a sister whomarried a Benjamin or where any of them went to.
      If anybody has come across any mention of them in their own research I would be very grateful for any information or help.

      Many thanks,
      Terry

    • Anita George
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2008

        Hello to you.

        I don’t know if it is connected but my father is a Donald George from St.Helena. His father before him, a Walter George. My dad came over to the UK in the 60’s.  We live in the UK .  We are trying to research the family tree but im not sure yet that my mother has got as far as this yet.  I will forward your email to her which may be of interest. We know of Benjamins too.

        Thanks

        Anita George.

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.