Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] LOUISA ANN LAWRENCE

  • Crystal Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
      Crystal Williams <cryswil27@...> wrote:
      I am looking for information on Louisa Ann Lawrence - or any
      Lawrence family on St Helena Island:

      Louisa Ann Lawrence: born 15/8/1862 (baptised: 05/10/1862) -
      Parents: Jacob and Martha Lawrence.

      Louisa came to Cape Town from St Helena (her death record @ the Cape
      Town
      Archives) married twice. Have not found records of any of her
      marriages so not sure where she got married.

      Her first husband was: Adolph Davids (children from this marriage
      were baptised from 1887 - 1898 @ Christ Church in Constantia and I
      have these records)

      and 2nd husband was: John Solomons (my great grandfather)

      Am trying to locate where she got married - if her first marriage
      took place on the island or here in Cape Town - and if there is any
      Lawrence family left on the island.

      Thanx!
      Crystal - Cape Town

    • fernandesks1
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2014
        Hi Crystal

        Richard Henry Wilson LAWRENCE was my ggfather born 28 May 1868 in St.Helena. His parents were Jacob  and Martha (nee YON previously DUNCAN).  From records I’ve managed to get from Wits Univ. and LDS he had a sister Louisa Ann LAWRENCE born 15 Aug 1862.  Martha died soon after giving birth to Richard.  In 1871 Jacob remarried again to Mary Ann (nee MARCH) and had about 10 children. I don’t know when Richard (or the rest of his family?) came to South Africa. Richard married my ggmother  Dorothy Eva (nee RAKER) in Kimberley in 1896. I am trying to get in touch with anyone who knows anything about Richard LAWRENCE  and his family.

        Thx - Karen

      • alfyoung1210
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2014

        Hi Crystal,

        I don't wish to be a Butt-In-Ski however I have a story involving one Hugh Northam, John Young who I believe to be my GGF and a poor unfortunate soul named James Lawrence. I can't trace the embarkation nor disembarkation points of any of the three but I believe they may have set off from South Africa.

        Hugh Northam was a friend and business partner (gold mining) to James Lawrence. My GGF share lodgings with Lawrence and was a first hand witness to the shooting of Lawrence by Northam.

        Lawrence suffered a long and painful death.

        newspaper cuttings of the time has Northam arrested while trying to cash in bonds worth a reasonably high sum at a bank in Melbourne. It is believed these bonds were the basis of the dispute between Lawrence and Northam.

        I have reworked an article to clear the third person ambiguities and it explains the sequence of events reasonably but is unable to provide prior dealings that sealed Lawrence's fate.

        Please find it attached

        If James appears amid your tree I would dearly love to have more details about him.

        rgds

        RIchard

        Sydney NSW