[St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: The "Thomas" surname on St Helena

  • neil808548
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "dngskll"
      <diane_202@...> wrote:

      > Dear Genie,
      >
      > Thanks for that. I didn't recognise any names matching
      my "Thomas"
      > family history but certainly the "Corker" name is well known from
      the
      > island.
      >
      > I just cannot find any "Thomas" names before the middle of the
      1800's
      > and am stumped as to where the name came from. It would appear
      that
      > not many folk can trace their "Thomas" back either. Obviously if
      > they are from slaves then that would explain no or very few
      records.
      > However, as my GGG Grandparents on the female side were both very
      > definately slaves, if the GGG Grandparents on the male side
      (Thomas)
      > were also slaves, wouldn't their grand children have had at least
      > some colouring to their skins? One of these grand children is my
      > Grandmother.
      >
      > Before anyone takes offence at the reference to colour, I infer no
      > prejudice, it's just that I don't know enough about genetics to
      find
      > out how the colour of skin is diluted by generation. I have
      assumed
      > that my Evan Thomas was "white" because his wife was from slaves
      > therefore assumed "black". His daughter, my G Grandmother does
      not
      > appear to be very dark skinned on the few photos I have and
      following
      > generations are all "white".
      >
      > Another idea that my son put forward is that the "slaves" in the
      > family tree were in fact the son and daughter of slaves and
      masters!
      > This could then mean that my Evan could in theory be from slaves.
      > This has really got me confused now but I find the whole subject
      > fascinating and addictive.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Diane
      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Genie Murphy
      > <genieandjim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Diane:
      > >
      > > I saw your posting and don't know if this helps but I also have
      > some
      > > descendents from St. Helena that may be of interest.
      > >
      > > Victoria Corker, my grandmothers sister, married a Robert Essex
      > and
      > > they had one daughter, Charlotte and six sons, Robert, Fred,
      > George,
      > > Albert, Norman and Joseph. George had a son Jeffrey born in
      > 1936.
      > > There is also a reference to a Hilda Ellen Thomas who was born
      in
      > > 1890 and married Henry James Corker (my grandmothers brother.
      Also
      > > reference to a Winifred May Thomas who married Belfred Ronald
      > > Corker. These may be entirely different lines but I thought I
      > would
      > > pass this along.
      > >
      > > Genie Murphy (USA) Descendent from the Corker family on the
      > Island.
      > > On Jun 7, 2007, at 1:56 PM, dngskll wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi Tina,
      > > >
      > > > I've sent this reply once but it seems to have got lost.
      Anyway
      > this
      > > > is the repeat.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your reply. Your ancestor Geo Thomas came from
      where?
      > He
      > > > is not mentioned in the 1814 census so he could have died
      before
      > then
      > > > but the name Thomas is still only mentioned once in the
      census. A
      > > > Thomas Thomas. Alice is not mentioned although she is still
      > obviously
      > > > on the island. Perhaps because she is now a married woman and
      has
      > > > changed her name? The name Essex is not on the census because
      > > > William her husband is in the St. Helena Regiment and would
      have
      > been
      > > > included in the bulk military entry I presume. Therefore all
      the
      > > > Thomases seem to have disappeared.
      > > >
      > > > Do you see my problem? My Thomas family must have arrived from
      > > > elsewhere (unless we're all decended from 1 man!!!) and I can
      only
      > > > guess from the military which is a big brick wall.
      > > >
      > > > Once again, thanks for replying.
      > > >
      > > > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "bty760432"

      > > > Thomas,
      > > > Alice

      > Pemberton

      > and

      Thomas.
      > 1848.
      > not
      This
      > > > brick
      > > > father
      > guesses at

      > > > and
      > > > > >
      > > > Hello. Have just joined the group and was fascinated by the
      Thomas discussion. I might be able to help
      William Thomas arrived on the ship HMS Eurydice on 29th September
      1816 as a clerk on board. He worked for Mr Solomon provisioning
      ships on the island and attended Napoleon's funeral and touched his
      hand before his internment.He stayed on the island until his tragic
      death by drowning in 1829 and fathered two children by Martha
      Chippingdale - Evan born 1st Sept 1821 and Owen born 4 June 1824.
      Evan married Ann Maria Phillips on 13 March 1843 and Owen married
      Sarah Gentry on 8 August 1846>
      William came from Coity near Bridgend South Wales and was the
      brother of my partner's great great great grandmother Lettice Thomas

      > > >I have had an article published on William and could forward
      it if you are interested. The information on William is taken from a
      collection of letters Willian wrote to his widowed mother Catherine
      and sister Lettice

      Neil

    • dngskll
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2007
        Hello Neil,

        I am tickled pink with the information that you have re Evan & Owen
        Thomas. Evan is my G G Grandfather and his ancestry has been a huge
        brick wall for years. I would very much appreciate any information
        that you have. I couldn't find any entries in the St Helena archives
        for Evan and Owen (although that doesn't mean they aren't there, just
        I didn't see them) and have tried every genealogy site that I could
        lay my hands on, trying to find them. I am interested in anything
        pertaining to the family as I am researching far more than the direct
        line. I'm going in as many directions as I can in an attempt to
        understand the way of life and the personalities of the people in the
        family tree. My email address is diane_202@....

        Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply,

        Regards,

        Diane.
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "neil808548"