Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] captain whatley

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2007
      Martin, here are my recollections of Tom Whatley:
      When I arrived on the island in 1967, Tom was there, having retired from the Merchant Navy and bought a house: sorry, I
      don't remember exactly where it was.
      Some little while earlier, he had married Pauline, a woman very much younger than he was, and they had a son, who was
      about two at the time. My first wife and I looked after the boy when Pauline was away for a while in the UK, in, I
      think, mid 1968.
      Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out: Tom was pretty upset, and I recall that he left the island soon afterwards.
      I very much enjoyed his company, although he was much older than I at the time, and a much better drinker! No doubt
      that was why there is a bench with his name on it outside his favourite pub.

      Hope the above helps a little.

      John Coyle
      Brisbane, Australia
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2007
        Quick correction, I think Tom's wife might have been called Paulette, not Pauline - sorry, it was 40 years ago!

        John Coyle
        Brisbane, Australia
        > Martin, here are my recollections of Tom Whatley:
        > When I arrived on the island in 1967, Tom was there, having retired from the Merchant Navy and bought a house: sorry,
        > don't remember exactly where it was.
        > Some little while earlier, he had married Pauline, a woman very much younger than he was, and they had a son, who was
        > about two at the time. My first wife and I looked after the boy when Pauline was away for a while in the UK, in, I
        > think, mid 1968.
        > Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out: Tom was pretty upset, and I recall that he left the island soon
        > afterwards.
        > I very much enjoyed his company, although he was much older than I at the time, and a much better drinker! No doubt
        > that was why there is a bench with his name on it outside his favourite pub.
        >
        > Hope the above helps a little.
        >

        > John Coyle
        > Brisbane, Australia
      • martinallen78