captain whatley

  • martinallen78
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2007
      hi,
      does anyone have any imformation about captain Tom Watley,all i know
      is that he has a bench outside the standard bar.thankyou
    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2007
        Martin, here are my recollections of Tom Whatley:
        When I arrived on the island in 1967, Tom was there, having retired from the Merchant Navy and bought a house: sorry, I
        don't remember exactly where it was.
        Some little while earlier, he had married Pauline, a woman very much younger than he was, and they had a son, who was
        about two at the time. My first wife and I looked after the boy when Pauline was away for a while in the UK, in, I
        think, mid 1968.
        Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out: Tom was pretty upset, and I recall that he left the island soon afterwards.
        I very much enjoyed his company, although he was much older than I at the time, and a much better drinker! No doubt
        that was why there is a bench with his name on it outside his favourite pub.

        Hope the above helps a little.

        John Coyle
        Brisbane, Australia
        > does anyone have any imformation about captain Tom Watley,all i know
        > is that he has a bench outside the standard bar.thankyou

        > For information on St Helena family history see the St Helena Institute's homepage at http://www.st-helena.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Coyle
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2007
          Quick correction, I think Tom's wife might have been called Paulette, not Pauline - sorry, it was 40 years ago!

          John Coyle
          Brisbane, Australia
          > Martin, here are my recollections of Tom Whatley:
          > When I arrived on the island in 1967, Tom was there, having retired from the Merchant Navy and bought a house: sorry,
          > don't remember exactly where it was.
          > Some little while earlier, he had married Pauline, a woman very much younger than he was, and they had a son, who was
          > about two at the time. My first wife and I looked after the boy when Pauline was away for a while in the UK, in, I
          > think, mid 1968.
          > Unfortunately, the marriage didn't work out: Tom was pretty upset, and I recall that he left the island soon
          > afterwards.
          > I very much enjoyed his company, although he was much older than I at the time, and a much better drinker! No doubt
          > that was why there is a bench with his name on it outside his favourite pub.
          >
          > Hope the above helps a little.
          >

          > John Coyle
          > Brisbane, Australia
        • martinallen78